SS commercial freezer conversion

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Kevster

Original poster
Jun 5, 2019
Delaware
EC99F9A2-D3C7-4D41-8474-BA040C01AA66.jpeg
So I’m joining the freezer club. I got two from work free. My plan was the one with the single door as my scrap metal parts and the one with two doors as my smoker. Except after spending a Saturday taking out insulation I dread taking any parts off the other one.

The stainless is 20 gauge. The inside compartment was riveted and seams siliconed. I’ve drilled out the rivets and removed the silicon and started tack welding everything back together. Everything will be welded by the time I’m done.

I’ve seen a lot of nice builds but I want to make this into a stick burner instead of electric or pellet. The freezer that is intact minus the doors is exactly the same as the one I plan to use except for the door configuration.
The freezer is upside down and this is how I’m going to build it. I want to use the open area on the bottom as my fire box. It’s 27 inches wide 13 inches tall and 29 inches deep. The smoke chamber is be 24 W x 58 T x 29 D. The bottom of the smoker chamber there are two rectangle holes. The bigger one will be patched over. The smaller one in the back will be connected to the firebox. I’m thinking of making it reverses flow so the width of the vent coming in will run to the top of the smoker but be reduced slightly on both sides so I can put my vent stacks out on both sides of the back bottom. I kinda scribbled the vent idea on my donor freezer.

So my questions are.
Will the stainless hold up as a firebox wall or will I need something different?

Is it a bad idea to have the firebox under the smoker even though it will be insulated between both compartments.

Will the reverse flow idea work?
b3c67512-9949-4b54-b426-d7658e5f0d84

173BA643-1E9C-408D-AF67-044E2A11C817.jpeg

FC99D851-8A19-4C53-AEC1-F0AF2F8D1D29.jpeg

abc1c781-c066-45b6-8a54-1ab702a0cd11

I’m sorry. Completely overlooked thanking anyone in advance who might reply.
So thank you in advance for any comments lol.

Wow, you lucky dog. To get a pieces like that to start with for free! That is gonna be great. The only tricky part I would see might be even heating due to the height but then that might be good too you could have heat zones. And to have a parts donor too. Excited to see the finish.

Wow, you lucky dog. To get a pieces like that to start with for free! That is gonna be great. The only tricky part I would see might be even heating due to the height but then that might be good too you could have heat zones. And to have a parts donor too. Excited to see the finish.
Thanks for the response!
Lol I work for a 13 building school district and get first dibs on stuff not being used any longer or being thrown away. These two units were being upgraded. I really want a warmer but every one they have is made of some type of hard plastic.
I thought of the different heat zones which is why I hoped a reverse flow would help with that. Instead of doing a reverse flow I am considering putting a convection oven fan inside to circulate the air. They can be found for around $60.00. That would keep air constantly moving around in the smoke chamber.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky