SQWIB Fails on Thanksgiving

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

sqwib

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
Sep 25, 2007
Philadelphia
[h3]I know the title sounds a bit harsh and it wasn't all that bad, but here's my story.[/h3]
Every Year my wife does a great thanksgiving dinner.
This year was no different, she picked up a 19.5 lb fresh turkey and a 9 lb breast. I had received a Frozen 19.5 lb bird at work. When I got home to show off my prize, we decided to do one in the oven and one on the pit and save the breast for another day.

Now, I try to stay out of her way because this is her day and it's very important to her, fortunately the cooking time on my bird would be a few hours longer than hers, so I could get in and out of the kitchen before I became a nuisance.

Well here goes. I am not going to post the actual recipe because there are millions of slather recipes and quite frankly it's only a slather, I just use spices that compliment poultry. I don't use any ingredient with sugar for the slather as it will burn during the cook.

• Mixed my slather ingredients and got my aromatics ready, then went down and fired up the pit using the preheat burner and log lighter and adding my first batch of junk wood to get a good coal base going. Its 8:30 and the outside temperature is 40º .

8210226125_c30a39d8be_z.jpg

8211316496_5d11b47f89_z.jpg

• There was onion added as well but not in the pic.
8211316916_70af912191_z.jpg

Started prepping the bird for a beer can style cook, I had a hell of a time adding the slather, even though I patted the bird dry it was a pain, I should have placed uncovered in the refrigerator for a few hours, but there was no time, guess I could have used a blow dryer.

• Placed the bird over top the can of aromatics and Slathered.
8211317630_417ae22a35_z.jpg

• Ugh! nasty!
8210229827_76803e88c9_z.jpg

• Headed back to the pit with my gnarly slathered bird.
8210230633_991fa5b4c1_z.jpg

• Pit temp was at 450º
8210230957_84014ed032_z.jpg

• Removed the grate and placed the bird and pan on top of the reverse flow plate, I have a cast iron grate that sits on top of the reverse flow plate for cooking this way.
  • 9:10 Closed the lid
  • 9:20 rotated 90º

8211320590_5e04d1dc15_z.jpg

8211320972_b7c3d29663_z.jpg

• 9:30 rotated 90º
8210232123_2e1dd476e5_z.jpg

• 9:40 rotated 90º. Had to turn off the preheat burner, could not get the temp below 500º, it would creep up from 450º to 500º in a few minutes. at this point the temp was down to 375º My initial plan was to have the bird at 450º for the first 30 minutes.
8210233891_e7e64b043f_z.jpg

• Leveled drip pan and added water, if its not level, the drippings burn up on the low side. The reverse flow plate has a slight pitch for draining.
  • 9:50 shut off log lighter and started decreasing temps trying to reach 275º. the bird was getting blasted so I placed a diffuser directly in the path of the heat, With these stickburners you really have to watch, if you are running at higher temps the food gets blasted, especially tall food like this turkey, you can see by some of the photos how the top of the bird got blasted.

8210236213_9d54a0b5b7_z.jpg

• This is one weird looking bird.
8211324628_e18ebf5e5d_z.jpg

• Foiled the top.
8211325700_922d89b010_z.jpg

• Then I took a few moments to admire the beautiful morning. I try not to get too sucked in by the cook and stressing over it and I was starting to do just that. At that point you need to step back and refocus.

8210232995_30e9ec5cfc_z.jpg

• 10:30 The outside temperature is now 47º and the smell of the wood and turkey are incredible. Inserted the probe (Maverick ET732) bird is reading 120º already, hmmm that's odd.
  • 11:00 The pit is running at 260º and Internal temp is at 140º Wow, already?
  • 11:30 internal temp is at 148º
  • 12:05 bird is reading 158º figured I would make my glaze at this point and glaze the turkey the final hour of cooking.
  • The bird is removed from the pan and the drippings and aromatics liquid from the can are poured off and the pan is moved to the grate level.
8210237733_99701122d3_z.jpg

8211327168_d8c03a6522_z.jpg

8210238415_21e374d999_z.jpg

8210238827_ccfc77e215_z.jpg

8211328134_9e811733eb_z.jpg

8211326290_57001809af_z.jpg

• Ok the bird is glazed.
8210239415_be528932d9_z.jpg

• Aromatics are removed from the can and placed in the bird.  
8210239751_d53ddca100_z.jpg

• 12:30 After glazing the bird I am thinking something just don't seem right. If I wasn't so focused on worrying about the Internal temp I would have realized that something is wrong.
This bird should take approximately 6 - 6.5 hours to cook, (20 minutes per pound) based on my notes and it was at 158º in 3 hours? No that can't be.

So I get out my trusty thermapen and started probing the thermapen is showing 136º - 140º randomly   oh shit, now I got this thing glazed and it has setup already, no going back.

Well it's too late now.
  • 1:40 Internal temp at 158º - 165º. Now this is the part that really gets me angry and I WILL NEVER MAKE THIS MISTAKE AGAIN. I could not get the inner thigh up over 162º I probed the damn thing like a pincushion so I let it ride being driven by the fear of the FDA Guidelines.
  • This is when my gut told me the bird should have been pulled.
8211330122_bbb7902885_z.jpg

I finally gave up at 3:30 the temp only increased in the breast, the thigh stayed at 162º for over an hour. Although the cooking time was about right the breast was already at 175º, (Insert very bad word here).
  • Well how did it fare compared to mt wife's Oven Roasted Turkey? You decide by looking at the photos.
8211331002_a0a215f852_z.jpg

8211332446_f602cefa0b_z.jpg

• This is too funny.
8211333626_a89605df79_z.jpg

8210246397_e006f5daaa_z.jpg

8211340038_f3b48833dc_z.jpg

When Laura was cutting the Pit Cooked bird, it hardly any juices come out, when the Oven Roasted bird was being carved there was liquid everywhere, oh boy this is a bad sign for the Pit Cooked bird.

• Making the gravy.
8211331976_0d4ef2b629_z.jpg

• One saving grace was that my gravy was awesome.
8211336842_05a6288e8e_z.jpg

Well here is a comparison from the guests. 1 being inedible 3 being OK, 5 being good, 7 being very good and 10 being outstanding
   Oven Roasted  Smoked

Appearance  9  3
 Moistness  10  4
 Texture  9  3
 Flavor  9  9
 Gravy  N/A  8

It's hard to separate this stuff in definable categories,  for example texture can alter someones perception of actual flavor. And moisture and texture play well together.

Neither bird was brined, The Oven Roasted Bird was fresh and The Pit Cooked bird was a frozen bird. I think the Pit Cooked bird could have benefited from a brine.

Well in the end everything was fine many liked the smoked bird but it wasn't as nearly as moist as the Oven roasted Bird, but what blows my mind the most is, the Oven Roasted bird had better flavor throughout the meat as well and it was only slathered with butter, salt and pepper, it actually had a bit of welcomed salt flavor throughout the meat.

The pit cooked bird looked burnt, but believe it or not, it had no burnt flavor whatsoever and the drippings also had no signs of a burnt taste.
  • Well here goes the plating.
8211338604_51a6eea680_z.jpg

8210250243_c97b2ae0e9_z.jpg

• Happy Thanksgiving from My Family to yours.
8210255223_0f90bfa243_z.jpg

8210254363_118ae6bd10_z.jpg

8211342686_c5dd036bb5_z.jpg

8210261193_4d161cc650_z.jpg

• OK now for my rant.
  •  
For many years both my parents and my wifes parents have cooked thanksgiving dinner just like their parents before them. I know my mom has been cooking thanksgiving dinner since I was born in 1963 same with my wife's parents.

To this day when my mother cooks a turkey she goes by time, weight and temperature, just as her mother before her had done, they would simply cook based on time, weight  and temp, brown the turkey the last hour, pull it out and check for doneness by piercing the thigh to see if the juices run clear. I think they add a half hour extra if stuffing the bird. I know this is harder to do in a pit or smoker where temps can fluctuate.

Another way is to move the leg away from the body of the turkey, if it moves easily and separates from the body, the turkey is done, if it snaps back it is undercooked.

I have never heard of anyone in either of our families getting sick from cooking by temp, weight and time.

Their turkey is always good if not great.

Just to make this clear, I am not suggesting to anyone to under cook their birds.

Doing big birds on a pit can be a challenge and If I went with my gut on this particular cook, the bird would have been near perfect, yeah I know many are saying hindsight is 20/20.

The internal temps were all over the place it was impossible to decide when to pull the bird based on temp probes, I would have been better of using the old school methods.

However, this has been a valuable lesson for me and my method for cooking larger birds will be a bit different next time. Most likely the next large bird will be done on the GOSM. I'll keep using the pit for smaller birds.

Thanks for tuning in.

Love to read your posts and drooled over the pics. I do the feast here for the same reasons. Turkey day is mine to shine like your wife too. We are still stuffed from yesterday. I think the fried turkey won here....mainly because the smoked is something new. I will still do one next year!

Well dang that just sucks but we all have those moments. Looks like you all had a great day anyways.

I am curious did you brine the bird?

Thanks for sharing with us.

SQWIB, at present I am cooking turkeys and I can already tell that it's progressing a little more quickly than usual. In part, it just might be atmospheric conditions, humidity, etc.  So in that regard, those sorts things be what they may have been could have played a role in your cook. It appears you and the family there had a nice Thanksgiving anyway. I know, it may seem to not have turned out the way you wanted but then again, good things aren't always perfect are they.   

We all have those days....
I don't really like smoking whole turkeys. I usually will split them.

Fried turkeys are the bomb..... I am thinking for Christmas of par smoking one and then finish in the fryer.

Looks like you gained valuable knowledge from your smoke!!

Lust think if you had a $150 piece of prime rib on the pit?

I also split my birds in 1/2, or smoke them for 4 hours, and finish in the oven

The breast meat and dark meat just don't seem to get done at the same time

I've learned that injecting the breasts with a mixture of white wine and melted butter really keeps all the meat moist

Todd

Well dang that just sucks but we all have those moments. Looks like you all had a great day anyways.
I am curious did you brine the bird?
Thanks for sharing with us.
No the bird was not brined It was an enhanced bird, but brining may have helped and that was my original game plan.
We all have those days....
I don't really like smoking whole turkeys. I usually will split them.
Fried turkeys are the bomb..... I am thinking for Christmas of par smoking one and then finish in the fryer.
Yeah this bird was a bit big, I have had great success with smaller ones 12-14 pounds.
Looks like you gained valuable knowledge from your smoke!!

Lust think if you had a $150 piece of prime rib on the pit?

I also split my birds in 1/2, or smoke them for 4 hours, and finish in the oven

The breast meat and dark meat just don't seem to get done at the same time

I've learned that injecting the breasts with a mixture of white wine and melted butter really keeps all the meat moist

Todd
Yep Ive learned that fear of the FDA guidelines dictate my cook, but I wont let it happen again.

The meat would have been moist if I pulled when my gut said to pull because the thermos were all over the place using the thermapen and the maverick.

I'll keep to the smaller birds for the stickburner and try the larger birds on the GOSM next time.

I think the problem with doing the large birds at higher heat (275 - 300 degrees degrees) on Frank is that the heat blasts the hell out of the bird, (note my baffle), that helps a little bit but there's so much surface area on an upright bird that it can't help but get blasted. I think if I do a larger bird on the stickburner I need to split  the bird as you suggest for a more even cook.

you can see in the photos below how the heat is blasting the bird, of course I did start out with higher heat the first half hour.

Personally, I like the custom diffuser that you constructed. Looks like we shop in the same place!!

I had a similar problem recently.

11 lbs. enhanced bird. The next time, I reversed the bird, putting the can through the neck first. No one in my family really likes the drumsticks  from turkey and who cares if its tail gets a bit burned. Foil it if it gets too dark. Butter and seasoning under the skin. light oil and rubbed on the outside. 

I wondered if getting the most heat to the darker meat would help equalize the final temp goals. After about three hours, we flipped the bird ( ha ha, yes I said it) over on the can. Fat had already begun to run down from the dark meat. The drippings were reduced a bit, mixed with a little butter and then basted. I decided to turn the bird over to crisp up the skin over the breast. The bird came out nice and tender. Haven't brined one yet but also wonder how it would contribute to the internal moistness versus possibly injecting.  Pulled from smoker at breast IT of 168F.

Dont know if any of this helps. You certainly have a lot more experience than I do. No matter, I bet you bird tasted just fine.

Happy Holidays.

John

Personally, I like the custom diffuser that you constructed. Looks like we shop in the same place!!

I had a similar problem recently.

11 lbs. enhanced bird. The next time, I reversed the bird, putting the can through the neck first. No one in my family really likes the drumsticks  from turkey and who cares if its tail gets a bit burned. Foil it if it gets too dark. Butter and seasoning under the skin. light oil and rubbed on the outside. 

I wondered if getting the most heat to the darker meat would help equalize the final temp goals. After about three hours, we flipped the bird ( ha ha, yes I said it) over on the can. Fat had already begun to run down from the dark meat. The drippings were reduced a bit, mixed with a little butter and then basted. I decided to turn the bird over to crisp up the skin over the breast. The bird came out nice and tender. Haven't brined one yet but also wonder how it would contribute to the internal moistness versus possibly injecting.  Pulled from smoker at breast IT of 168F.

Dont know if any of this helps. You certainly have a lot more experience than I do. No matter, I bet you bird tasted just fine.

Happy Holidays.

John
Yeah, gotta love the diffuser.

The flavor was ok  and it wasn't dry like you had to drink something in order to swallow, but it was a bit dryer than I like.

Texture was also fine but not moist like I prefer.

A brine would have helped a little bit. Bottom line was I overcooked the bird fearing an undercooked bird (breast 175) my guests liked it but I have done much better.

The skin blackened while foiled, but it did not taste burnt.

Enjoyed your post very much.  If it comes out good or bad I always learn something new and make changes and also write it down for next time, have a bad case of CRS.

I had to laugh as my wife is a very very good cook, and I have to stay out of her way in the kitchen.  She works weekdays, I'm am totally disabled and stay home, so with half a grin she tells me I'm banned from the kitchen on the weekends.  lol.

I take her serious and do my cooking during the week, lol.

Happy Holidays
Rick ""\_/""

Maybe make a new diffuser, shaped kind of like the cow catchers on the old trains and sit it in front of the critter to direct the heat more around it.

It still looked great, I would have ate it, I am a dark meat guy anyhow so the white meat I may have made an herbed butter and dressed it with once cut.

Sqwib, thanks for the good read. Sometimes I think we are too self critical of our smokes. Many a time during my cooks, it seemed all was lost, Came out looking ugly, too dry.....on and on.  I'm thinking, on the upside, the food didn't kill anybody, they all came back for seconds, and asked if I would cook up some meat for their party. Go figure..

I am beginning to think that a good quality booze, in sufficient quantity will make about anything taste great
30.gif

Hey SQWIB, like they said above, we all have an off day. But as a turkey-holic, I'd still eat yours anytime.

For my turkey this year, I went with a marinade instead of a brine, and the moistness suffered because of it. Lesson learned.

Interesting. We did 5 birds on the RF this year. 3 were your typical cheap enhanced birds from your grocery store, the other 2 were organic from Trader Joe's. The enhanced experienced a similar issue to yours, but finished in 2/3 of the time of the organics. The organics are what I usually cook and had no issues. Try one of each side by side and see if you notice any difference.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky