Spring is here and grills are going on display

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bluewhisper

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Apr 1, 2014
Columbus Ohio
When my local grocery store's entrance is lined with bags of charcoal, I know they're beginning to promote grilling season. But everything is priced at top dollar, not like in the Fall when things are marked down. Yesterday I was looking at some grills that were priced at $69.00 and frankly not worth it, considering that's not much less than the price of a Weber while offering much lower build quality and presumably a shorter service life.

I also looked at some Traegers that were priced pretty high considering they were small units.

Well, on the other hand, we're coming closer to yard sale season, so there will probably be some good deals from people who tried smoking but failed and now they want to unload their rigs.

Next week I start a job in the garden department of a large store chain, and it should be interesting to study what grills/smokers they offer, and advise customers.

From what I've seen so far, it looks like the trendy steel-finish gas grills are about 80% of their stock.

Next week I start a job in the garden department of a large store chain, and it should be interesting to study what grills/smokers they offer, and advise customers.

From what I've seen so far, it looks like the trendy steel-finish gas grills are about 80% of their stock.

Nice to see for a change that your chain store will have someone knowledgeable in that department to help their customers. I hope you will be easy to find because every time I'm looking for assistance at my local Walmart their employees are no where to be seen.

Good luck,

John

I just can’t believe how expensive gas grills have gotten. But they are easy to grill on and don’t have to worry about pellets, charcoal etc. Appeals to more buyers and that’s why they stock more of them.

Nice to see for a change that your chain store will have someone knowledgeable in that department to help their customers. I hope you will be easy to find because every time I'm looking for assistance at my local Walmart their employees are no where to be seen.

Good luck,

John

“Walmart”....John, that’s your problem right there haha. I refuse to shop there anymore. Can’t ever find anything and I think their employees are just rude and inconsiderate. At least that’s how it is where I live.

Gas grills are probably the easiest to use and the most convenient. In my experience, the styles of smokers/grills that are used by most of the members here on the Forum sit unsold most of the summer and then go on sale in the fall. That's when the bargains are snatched up.

John

In my retirement I have been working for a small company here in Pittsburgh selling and servicing natural gas grills, gas lights, fireplace logs, and heaters.

We sell two brands of natural gas grills that are of the highest quality because believe it or not they are made in the USA. Lifetime guarantee and every customer who has one of them say they would never go back to a propane grill again.

I have one and they are well worth the investment. But then again, if you take good care of a Weber they will last a lifetime as well.

John

Last edited:
Doesn't natural gas take a different regulator than propane?

When I was growing up our neighbor had a grill running on natural gas, it looked like any gas grill but there was never a tank to replace. It was connected to the house's gas supply. It stood on a post coming up from the ground.

Doesn't natural gas take a different regulator than propane?

When I was growing up our neighbor had a grill running on natural gas, it looked like any gas grill but there was never a tank to replace. It was connected to the house's gas supply. It stood on a post coming up from the ground.

Yes, the regulators are different than a propane regulator. Your neighbor probably had a Ducane grill. They are no longer in business but we still have parts for them. Customers hold on to them until they are literally falling apart.

IMG_20180318_112949.png
Yeah. The meat market that sells primal cryovaced cuts is next to it.
Neat store..

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky