Splits NOT burning???

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

that's why I take a break after 10- 15 minutes.

it doesn't all have to be done at once  I can get better results with a chopper and minimal effort,  A maul would be a good choice for an experienced individual splitting a lot of large logs 8" - 14" or so.

common sense and safety practices go a long way. tiring yourself out trying is not safe. True, but suggesting that maul to someone who is obviously inexperienced is not something I would do, regardless of taking breaks. If Dan decides that an 8 pound maul will safely split a 3" diameter log he may end up in the E.R.

to each his own... , I don't think the small hatchet he bought it the right tool for the job. No it is not.
You have to remember that Dan is talking about splitting three inch splits, not logs, I think using an 8lb. Splitting Maul would be unsafe.

So I have to disagree with your suggestion of the Splitting Maul... sorry.

I'm just looking out for the safety of a fellow member.

well then we can agree not to agree

I cut small splits all the time with my maul

You don't whack at it with all the force you can muster, you have to use common sense, like using any tool

I have done it for years, I am sure he can handle it if he uses common sense.

Last edited:
What I mean is I would rather use the weight of the maul on a smallish split do the work rather than trying to over swing a small hatchet and miss or worse.

All you need to do is lift the maul a small bit and let if fall on the split, I make lots of kindling this way

as long as you are careful it will be fine

OK, so you suggest he goes out and buys an 8 pound splitting maul to split 3" splits, and you think someone trying to make 2" or even 1" splits that this is a correct and safe choice.

I just want to make sure I'm clear on that.

I see boy scouts all the time working on their totin' chip swinging the maul type axes and loosing control on a bad swing or an offset strike, with a lighter axe it is much easier to control and regain control in such a case.

I am totally aware of what can be used for what, however, the OP is purchasing something new, its not like he has it lying around to use, so why would you suggest such an overkill tool?

I am not debating that an 8 pound Maul won't work I just don't see the Splitting Maul as the proper tool specific to his needs, especially if he has to purchase one.

He would be much better with a Lightweight chopper.

However I do agree to each his own.

I do have a totin chip card!!

brings back great memories!!

I also still have my red handle Plumb Boy Scout Axe!!!

I just used the 8 lb maul as an example. A smaller one is fine. He needs to make his own choice on what he can handle or not.

I do not expct him to go into the store, grab this 8 lb maul that he can barely handle and say to himself "Buttbuner said I need this one!!" So I gotta buy it!!!

I do have a totin chip card!!

Half our scouts should redo the totin' chip, after  seeing them swinging an axe on concrete, last year took me half an hour to grind out a half penny size nick next trip out they did it again.

brings back great memories!!

I also still have my red handle Plumb Boy Scout Axe!!!

Dad just gave my son his from scouts near 70 years old! Sheath too!

I just used the 8 lb maul as an example. A smaller one is fine. He needs to make his own choice on what he can handle or not.

I do not expct him to go into the store, grab this 8 lb maul that he can barely handle and say to himself "Buttbuner said I need this one!!" So I gotta buy it!!!

Hin All

Fingers still in tack. Just got back from 10 day cruise to the Carribean. .  Haven't started a fire just yet, waiting on picking up some smaller splits.Will post back with the results.

Thanks Dan

Last edited:
In my experience, it's a lot of trouble to cook with small splits. I was hell bent on it and built a SFB style smoker years ago out of a 55gal drum and a chargriller SFB. The best way I found to really cook with wood splits, in a small setup similar to yours, was to pre-burn the wood into coals, then shovel them in the firebox. After you had a nice, clean burning, HOT bed of coals (hard to regulate in a small setup), then I could add some smaller spilts, buts that about it. VERY VERY labor intensive. You won't get away from your cooker for more than 30" I imagine. I know that's not what you're looking for, but you will fight and fight to get that doing what you see bigger cookers doing.

I ended up going to a Lang and never looked back. Although, it is funny. I cook two butts at a time on that thing which seems silly. Good luck.

I know many many people that cook successfully with splits on the pit Dan has.

Don't give up Dan. Once you see the light it will become easy

Yes I agree with BB and to further what Buttburner has said, it's really not a big deal and is fairly easy, I have already had mine going for over an hour unattended (maverick) while I took a long hot jacuzzi bath.
icon_eek.gif

My point is that once you get fire management under your belt and are comfortable with your pit, you will be GOLD!

But as PinkMeat points out, this type of cooking requires a baby sitter, but that's the beauty of it, anyone can toss something in a crock pot and head out to see a movie, but my pleasure comes from having a day that is MY day and the wife knows this and NOBODY bothers me when I'm on the pit,... hell, even if I could venture away from the pit for a few hours, do you think I would want to? also do you think I would tell my wife that, NOT A CHANCE ,  I don't care to leave my sanctuary!

Reactions: buttburner
I also wanted to say, don't sweat the temp fluctuatons so much, many folks will swear by maintaining a constant temperature throughout the cook for best product, I say, "HOGWASH" (always wanted to say that)  just as long as you don't drop below your minimal temperature any length of time you should be good, read this article I wrote.

The Sacraficial Picnic

Disclaimer: this article applies to a picnic cook and is of my opinion only!

Of course quality and volume of Smoke is an important element in a satisfactory cook!

I also wanted to say, don't sweat the temp fluctuatons so much, many folks will swear by maintaining a constant temperature throughout the cook for best product, I say, "HOGWASH" (always wanted to say that)  just as long as you don't drop below your minimal temperature any length of time you should be good, read this article I wrote.

The Sacraficial Picnic

Disclaimer: this article applies to a picnic cook and is of my opinion only!

Of course quality and volume of Smoke is an important element in a satisfactory cook!
Hi I don,t sweat the temp fluctuations any more.I'm getting to like the different heat zones.

Dan

Hi All 
Well winter is finally gone, I can get back to and fire up my smoker.
Stick burning with COS is defiantly a science did manage to get the smaller splits
6-8" long x 1-3" thick to flame, only problem is they don't last long. maybe 20-30 minutes.
With the larger splits,15-17" long x 3-5" thick.,last much longer, close to 1 hr, keeping them flaming is a work of art.
So now I'm looking for splits that are,10-12 long x 1-4 thick.. Think that would be the best of both worlds.
With the 2nd pic I panicked and lit up some more Kingsford.
Thanks All for your help
DanB
PS I took the fire bricks out and the stack that cam e down to the grates..Left the turning plates.

Hi All  Finally got the splits to flame.I lined the FB with fire bricks, then fill with Kingfords Blue, left a spot at the end for hot coals. Worked pretty good,used mainly smaller splits 6 x 4 of cherry and pecan,at the end I threw in a very large cherry split and it also flamed. Pork ribs came out real good, not too crazy about the beef ribs.

Here is the link with food pics  ..http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/177001/beef-ribs-restaurant-depot

Thanks Dan

Fire box lined with Fire bricks

small split

large split

Last edited:
Hi All Many thanks for ALL the great info. on getting wood splits to flame.. I'm doing another wood burning smoke as we speak.

I think I finally got the hang of this stick burning thing.No trouble getting the splits to flame for a nice clean smoke.

I use the same procedure as I did in my last post.Most important info. I got, was to preheat the splits on top of the fire box, works wonders for getting the  splits to flame, also leaving the FB door open for a good draft.

Now all I need is find a wood supplier.
yahoo.gif

Thanks Again Dan

PS I think a big help to getting the splits to flame, was lining the FireBox with the fire bricks.Keeps the FB real HOT!!!

Last edited:

In my experience, it's a lot of trouble to cook with small splits. I was hell bent on it and built a SFB style smoker years ago out of a 55gal drum and a chargriller SFB. The best way I found to really cook with wood splits, in a small setup similar to yours, was to pre-burn the wood into coals, then shovel them in the firebox. After you had a nice, clean burning, HOT bed of coals (hard to regulate in a small setup), then I could add some smaller spilts, buts that about it. VERY VERY labor intensive. You won't get away from your cooker for more than 30" I imagine. I know that's not what you're looking for, but you will fight and fight to get that doing what you see bigger cookers doing.

I ended up going to a Lang and never looked back. Although, it is funny. I cook two butts at a time on that thing which seems silly. Good luck.
Hi All  Finally got a chance to fire up the COS..Had NO trouble keeping the splits 12-14" x 2-3" on fire. Started with a small bed of KKB and some RO Lump. Heated the splits on top of the fire box,before

putting them in firebox, came to flames right away, and stayed that whey 

Only problem was, I had to another split every 45 min. guess that is way it goes with a stick burner. Still trying to find a supplier for the smaller splits that I use.

Thanks for ALL your help.

Dan

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky