Spit Roasted Prime Sirloin Roast

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Retired Spook

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Jun 28, 2022
The label says tri tip but is is a whole prime top sirloin for $7.99/pound which is not bad compared to everything else they're selling in HEB Bastrop right now.

I really wanted something for the new rotisserie so I'm going to trim it up into a large sirloin roast, grind the trimmings for burgers, and put the roast on the rotisserie and see what happens. I'll post pictures as I go.
SIRLOIN.jpg

Watching the weather forecast it seems like Christmas day might be the best day to cook this - I won't have much else to do that day anyways so I can watch YouTube vids till then 😎

I am going to keep it simple though - 24-hour Kosher salt brine, then simple salt (less, obviously) pepper and garlic rub, and spin it over post oak coals till about 120-degrees internal (I like beef rare) and then let it sit for a bit before I go to town.

I was thinking of inserting some whole garlic cloves into a few slits but I'm not sure about that...

The label says tri tip but is is a whole prime top sirloin for $7.99/pound which is not bad compared to everything else they're selling in HEB Bastrop right now.

I really wanted something for the new rotisserie so I'm going to trim it up into a large sirloin roast, grind the trimmings for burgers, and put the roast on the rotisserie and see what happens. I'll post pictures as I go.
How exciting. Should turn out juicy.
I was planning on cooking a turkey on the rotisserie, but the weather.
I don't mind a little cold, and even some wind. But a rotisserie on an open fire pit in 20 degree weather could take forever to cook.
I'll be watching.

Reactions: Retired Spook
How exciting. Should turn out juicy.
I was planning on cooking a turkey on the rotisserie, but the weather.
I don't mind a little cold, and even some wind. But a rotisserie on an open fire pit in 20 degree weather could take forever to cook.
I'll be watching.
I hear ya on the 20-degree weather. Christmas day here is supposed to be 48-degrees, so, we'll see. Fortunately it is cryovaced and label says good until 30 December so if the forecast doesn't look right I can adjust my plan - Monday and Tuesday (59 and 60-degrees) might be better.

I've watched a couple decent YouTube videos on butchering a whole top sirloin so I think I should be able to trim it into a nice huge roast, possibly with a few small steaks and some ground meat left over.

I am curious - what is your opinion of slitting and inserting whole garlic cloves here and there?

I am looking forward to seeing how this turns out.

Always watching .... AND that is a great cut of beef.

"Larding" is a term for inserting fat strips to leaner meat cuts before roasting.
I got a small rib roast that is a touch lean but has enough fat to lard in for the fake prime juiciness.
Don't eat ham anymore, but I wasn't fond of the cuts with a clove pushed in the puncture. The concentrated flavor was too much for me.
Garlic mellows as it cooks, but I truly feel you would do better with a garlic horseradish sauce to let the eaters choose the level of flavor.

I do a lot of beef knuckles . The bigger ones have 3 roast sections . Sirloin tip , sirloin cap , and a center cut sirloin .
I always break them down into the sections and some trim / grind .
If you try to do them whole , there is to much sinew through out the cut for me , and some stuff that really needs to be trimmed out .
Starts out like this .
1671590269662.jpeg
Trim along the connective tissue lines to separate the muscle groups . This is an example of stuff I want to get rid of .
1671590707570.jpeg
This is common yield from a larger knuckle .
Nice clean sirloin roasts .
1671590883036.jpeg
This was done on a pellet grill . I could have sectioned out that hunk . You can see the connective tissue that runs across the one side .
1671590975774.jpeg
So not sure how that relates to what you have , but the knuckle sits next to the sirloin section at the start of the hind quarter . When you get it out of the bag try to identify the muscle groups . I think gmc2003 gmc2003 is right . Might be a tri-tip in there .

This is my preliminary cut plan, for now...

I watched this video Cutting a whole Top Sirloin and I will watch it again when I am ready to cut to make sure I have the plan correct from left to right.

SIRLOIN CUT PLAN.jpg

Last edited:
Doesn't the tri tip come from the bottom of the sirloin? So maybe it's in there somewhere.

Chris
I think the young lady that was helping me just used Tri Tip on the label for the price per pound?

There may be Tri Tip in there but if there is, I do not know where it is.

Last edited:
There may be Tri Tip in there but if there is, I do not know where it is.
When I started buying sub-primals I found this site helped me know what cuts came from where .

This is my preliminary cut plan, for now...
Good . Just look for the different muscle groups and separate them out . Then cut your steaks .
This is knuckle again , but you can see the different muscle groups .
1671625668646.jpeg
Follow along the connective lines .
1671625417793.jpeg

Also , I have done sirloin roast on my spinner . Here's a couple things I learned .
They cook faster than expected .
When you pull it off to rest . Leave the shaft inserted .
I pulled it out the first time , and lost a lot of juice .

When I started buying sub-primals I found this site helped me know what cuts came from where .

Good . Just look for the different muscle groups and separate them out . Then cut your steaks .
This is knuckle again , but you can see the different muscle groups .
View attachment 651812
Follow along the connective lines .
View attachment 651811

Also , I have done sirloin roast on my spinner . Here's a couple things I learned .
They cook faster than expected .
When you pull it off to rest . Leave the shaft inserted .
I pulled it out the first time , and lost a lot of juice .
Have you seen my rotisserie? :emoji_laughing:

IMG_1408.JPG

Your link seems to imply that a Tri Tip is part of a bottom sirloin - I have a top sirloin (probably considered a sub-primal?).

Nevertheless, whatever I cut into a roast, is getting roasted!

Reactions: chopsaw
That should do the trick . I had a guy I coached soccer with that had one like that . He used to do whole lambs with it .

Could be sub primal . Just sharing what I've taught myself over the last couple of years . That's the only way I buy beef now .
Be watching for your cook .

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky