Spider Grills Venom?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I had two charcoal baskets of partially burned briquettes, and just piled them into the center of he grate, used the propane lighter to start them. When they began to burn on their own, I tinkered a bit with the venom and then set the temperature to 350℉, and just observed. The graph shows how the cooker heated up - I didn't monitor the time line, but the temperature increased steadily.
Along with the venom, I also purchased this extension for hanging sausage, so will try to do a cook sometime this weekend.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-02-09 at 5.23.52 PM.png
    Screenshot 2024-02-09 at 5.23.52 PM.png
    92.9 KB · Views: 13
Reactions: Colin1230
My goal is, in addition to all the other kettle capabilities, to be able to "cold smoke" sausage by hanging the links in the adapter, and maintain desired temperatures with the venom. I think charcoal arrangement (snake?) may be a big contributing factor in the venom's ability to maintain lower (160℉) temperatures.

A test run to determine if the Venom would maintain 150℉. Outside temperature was 44℉, Two briquettes were lit and placed at the end of a two-wide, single high snake. The temperature was very slow to increase - I think 3 or 4 lit charcoal to start would work better. A temperature probe was set on the food grate, and another (Probe 1) approximately 15 inches above the food grate. That probe read 10 degrees higher than the pit during the climb to 160, but the delta decreased as the temperature reached target.

Attachments

• Test Run.jpg
    Test Run.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 10
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky