Spicy Grilled Mexican Charras (Edited)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tx smoker

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Apr 14, 2013
Lago Vista, Texas
Headed south of the border the other night. Was just in the mood for something that was loaded with flavor and would bite back. Mexican seemed the perfect theme so did a little digging and found the Charros in the pantry. Hmmm...we can do something fun with these.

Browned a pound of ground beef, seasoned with my taco seasoning and a good shot of cayenne, then add onions and Ro Tel tomatoes with habaneros. Nasty looking mess!!
001.jpg

Get the Charras out and cover with a nice layer of refried beans.
002.jpg

Pile on the meat. I used every bit of it on these 4 Charras.
003.jpg

Load on the fresh shredded cheddar and sliced jalapenos.
004.jpg

Onto the grill at about 350*.
005.jpg

20-25 minutes later the cheese has melted and the jalapenos are just starting to cook. They are done.
006.jpg

Plate a couple of them up with a hefty dollop of sour cream and out to the patio.
007.jpg

Cut shot. I managed to get a pretty good pile of stuff on these.
008.jpg

Yep, you know what's next.
009.jpg

Man these were good and exactly what the doctor ordered. Bold, flavorful, spicy, and 100% legit Mexican. BrianGSDTexoma BrianGSDTexoma you just gotta give these a shot buddy. One key element for us is to get the peppers partially cooked but still retain the texture: firm and crispy, not mushy. This was a quickly thrown together meal that really hit the spot. Weird as it may sound, it all came together in a matter of a few minutes but turned out to be one of our favorite Mexican dinners. Charras will now become a staple in the pantry. I got a pack of them a couple weeks ago for a specialty dinner that didn't come out as well as I'd have liked. Still had some left so put these together on a whim...and glad I did :emoji_wink:

Well, gonna call this one a wrap. Gotta check a couple things here in the forum and get dinner started for this evening.

Robert

Last edited:
Looks great, would have to eat them if not working the next day lol

Oh man that looks good! We just got finished with 2 straight nights of eating the Extra cheesy ranchero skillets and the deconstructed stuffed poblanos.

Now I need to look up what a charro is now....lol

Robert, help me out here.
What are Charros?
Is it the brand of tortillas?
Are they hard or soft?

The delicious looking dish you show, on crisp tortillas is commonly referred to as a Tostada.

Gee wizz Chile, even I know Charro's are Mexican Horseman, lol 🤠 🤠 :emoji_laughing: 🤠 🤠

So Robert found a company that grinds up the Horseman and makes them into flat pizza shells.

David

• Haha
Reactions: clifish
Great looking grub, nice work Robert! I could attack that plate with a couple of Rolling Rocks and be pretty darned happy! RAY

OLÉ! Looks tasty Robert! Don't care what they're called either.... except, gone!

Ryan

My google search came up with Mexican Gentlmen horseman, lol

" a Mexican horseman or cowboy, typically one wearing an elaborate outfit,
often with silver decorations, of tight trousers, ruffled shirt, short jacket, ... "

David

My google search came up with Mexican Gentlmen horseman, lol

" a Mexican horseman or cowboy, typically one wearing an elaborate outfit,
often with silver decorations, of tight trousers, ruffled shirt, short jacket, ... "

David
I wonder where Robert hid the ruffled shirt in his dish?

• Haha
Reactions: DRKsmoking
Those look good Robert! I’ve done similar with those shells and now you got me thinking about making them sometime real soon. A delicious dinner indeed!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky