SPECK FAILURE WITH HAPPY ENDING(EDITED)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Robert H

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Nov 29, 2017
Hi all
Happy holidays to everyone.
So, I had deboned a fresh ham and divided into three parts and put into a tote for a dry rub cure. Two sections I had planned for speck and one went directly into the chamber to cure.
I planned on two smokes for the speck.
I did a full tray for the first smoke with my smoker door cracked open to keep the temp at about 80 degrees. I turned the element off when done and let rest a day then did the same for second smoke. Only one problem. I was watching football and had a few beverages, so when the tray was done I closed the door of smoker and left it in to rest again. Next day I come home from work and realise I forgot to turn the element off. My speck was now a smoked and fully cooked ham....145 deg internal temp.
EDIT INSERT: I forgot to include that it was very salty as a ham and I placed in a tote of water for a day to try and draw the salt out. It worked very nicely.
It is delicious, and although not a win, it is a fortunate ending. Very different than a brined sugar salt cure like pops brine.
Thanks for looking.
20211224_153549.jpg
20211225_111425.jpg

Last edited:
Yes....I neglected to add that it was too salty and I let it soak for a whole day in a tub of water. Was not sure it would work on a cooked piece, but it worked fine.
Thanks for bringing it up Inda!

Well it sure looks good from here . Dip a few slices in warm BBQ sauce and put on a bun .
I say nice work .

Thanks for the kind words and likes.
The third piece of the leg was not smoked, but wrapped in collagen and netted, so am looking forward to that. I sent a big chunk of the smoked ham home with my daughter yesterday and quite a bit was eaten with breakfast yesterday.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky