Special Meal For A Special Lady: Valentines NY Strips (W / Pics)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tx smoker

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Apr 14, 2013
Lago Vista, Texas
My birthday was a week before Valentines Day and Tracy let me cook whatever I wanted. Being that she humored me I thought it only fair to cook whatever she wanted for Valentines Day. I asked her a couple days in advance and she came up with a simple but delicious menu request: NY Strips, asparagus in butter, pecans & cranberries, and beef rice. Easy enough...except that it was in the low teens outside with wind chills well below zero. Not exactly my favorite climate for outdoor cooking so I improvised.

Steaks defrosted. Both are just over a pound
001.jpg

Seasoned with Worcestershire sauce and SPG then vac sealed and into the sous vide for a couple hours at 126
002.jpg

Got the asparagus ready to go. Since I came up with this a little over a year ago it has become her favorite veggie side....which is OK because I love it too :emoji_wink:
003.jpg

After the sous vide bath I dropped the steaks in a ribbed CI skillet to sear
005.jpg

Dinner plated with the asparagus and beef rice
006.jpg

Money shot. Nailed the steaks
013.jpg

Steaks were tender, juicy, and really flavorful. These are ones that I cut from the whole Prime toploin I got from Costco not long ago. It's not CPB but for the price point, it's some really good meat. The asparagus was fantastic along side the steaks and we are big fans of rice. It was just a package of Knorr's but they have some very tasty offerings and they all cook in 7 minutes. Kinda hard to go wrong with that I guess and it's why we keep several different flavors on hand. Not a first class meal but it was good and more importantly, it is what she asked for. No complaints at all from me though. I'll never turn down a good steak :emoji_laughing: I have a few more that I'd like to post up but don't want to run myself out of the forum so I'll hang tight a few days before boring all of you with anything else. Thanks for dropping in though. Stay safe, brave the elements, and I'll see y'all soon.

Robert

That's a lot of good food my friend. I would add 2 hot Brötchen for the au jus (with a slice of the steak in each roll?!) and a liter of Hefeweizen for sitting back after the meal. My belly is growling looking at this. 🍻

Last edited:
Excellent meal Robert. Perfectly cooked. Like said above, can't go wrong if you are pleasing your Mrs. Great work as usual.

Great looking meal Robert! And looks first class to me! And yes those steaks look beautiful!

Ryan

Yup, darn nice looking meal. I’d tear that up for sure. Have to keep that “war department “ happy! Nice job.

Those steaks are perfect!! Another great looking cook Robert!

Thanks Steve!! I get lucky on the steaks once in a while. Never done one inside with a CI skillet though so I had my reservations.

I would add 2 hot Brötchen for the au jus (with a slice of the steak in each roll?!)

That's a great concept but there's one aspect you are overlooking. This was Tracy's dinner, not mine so those items were not part of the dinner offerings.. Had it been my dinner things may have been different.

Can never go wrong with steak. And if its what mama wants all the better.

Couldn't agree more Jim. As long as she's happy, I get to keep buying good steaks.

Excellent meal Robert. Perfectly cooked. Like said above, can't go wrong if you are pleasing your Mrs. Great work as usual.

Thank you Mike and you're right about keeping her happy. If she's happy, the purse strings remain loose :emoji_wink:

Robert

Great looking meal Robert! And looks first class to me! And yes those steaks look beautiful!

Thanks Ryan. Simple but enough to keep Tracy happy so that's all that matters to me.

Dang Robert! That steak looks so good I would be hopping out the pew and into the aisles!

Appreciate it buddy but there's a visual I could have done without :emoji_laughing:

Have to keep that “war department “ happy!

Nah, no war department here. She's in charge and she knows it. No point it fighting or having a war. Just do it her way and keep the peace :emoji_wink:

Great looking steaks man!

Very much appreciate it sir.

Robert

Reactions: SmokinEdge
Awwww...You are such a Sweety!
Perfect Meal and a Great Lady! You are Blessed my friend...JJ

Looks Great, Robert !!
I never did it, but if I was going to SV a Steak, NY Strip would be my #1 pick.
Nice Job!
Like.

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky