Spatchcock Turkey

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

HalfSmoked

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jun 11, 2015
Maryland Eastern Shore
I'm old school never done any spatchcock anything.
My question is I have a 14 lb. turkey if I spatchcock it how much that will cut down on cooking time?
I'm going to be pushed for time and it will be raining (not on the smoker)

Warren

Here are a few things I found. Take with a grain of salt. I think most folks spatch for more even cooking between white/dark meat.

Though the presentation isn’t traditional, there are a few reasons we prefer to spatchcock turkey:
  • It’s quick. Because the bird is flattened, the cooking time is cut almost in half.
  • The bird cooks evenly. With a whole bird, the breast meat often dries out before the dark meat is done. By flattening the turkey, the legs and thighs (dark meat) are more exposed to the heat, and so they cook in the same time as the breast.
  • The skin gets nice and crispy. Since the whole bird is equally exposed to heat, every inch of its skin will evenly brown and develop that crave-worthy crispiness.

Spatchcock turkey cooking time per pound at 350​

Turkey Weight (lb)Cooking Time (350ºF)
12 lb spatchcock turkey2 Hours and 12 Minutes
14 lb spatchcock turkey2 Hours and 50 Minutes
16 lb spatchcock turkey3 Hours and 8 Minutes
18 lb spatchcock turkey3 Hours and 48 Minutes
20 lb spatchcock turkey4 Hours and 15 Minutes

Last edited:
Reactions: Mattmilw
Any reason you should not spatchcock a Duck? Thinking of doing it instead of putting it on a rotisserie. Would the fat still render out of the scored skin when it is smoked flat?

Here are a few things I found. Take with a grain of salt. I think most folks spatch for more even cooking between white/dark meat.

Though the presentation isn’t traditional, there are a few reasons we prefer to spatchcock turkey:
  • It’s quick. Because the bird is flattened, the cooking time is cut almost in half.
  • The bird cooks evenly. With a whole bird, the breast meat often dries out before the dark meat is done. By flattening the turkey, the legs and thighs (dark meat) are more exposed to the heat, and so they cook in the same time as the breast.
  • The skin gets nice and crispy. Since the whole bird is equally exposed to heat, every inch of its skin will evenly brown and develop that crave-worthy crispiness.

Spatchcock turkey cooking time per pound​

Turkey Weight (lb)Cooking Time (350ºF)
12 lb spatchcock turkey2 Hours and 12 Minutes
14 lb spatchcock turkey2 Hours and 50 Minutes
16 lb spatchcock turkey3 Hours and 8 Minutes
18 lb spatchcock turkey3 Hours and 48 Minutes
20 lb spatchcock turkey4 Hours and 15 Minutes
At what temps is the above based on? Inquiring minds (or lack there of) want to know.

At what temps is the above based on? Inquiring minds (or lack there of) want to know.
Edited post to say 350. There are a few other tables that rec cooking in the 425-450 range. Most here know to use a therm instead of time. Chart was to help with ballpark time.

Reactions: clifish
I spatched one time and while the results were good it was a PITA to handle. I take it further and just half the thing.

Reactions: sawhorseray
Edited post to say 350. There are a few other tables that rec cooking in the 425-450 range. Most here know to use a therm instead of time. Chart was to help with ballpark time.
understood, just looking for a ballpark on the time/temp - thx

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky