Spatch-cocked Chickens w Q View

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bignick

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Mar 22, 2008
Southaven, MS
Pretty simple smoke here, but this came out wonderful.  We had some friends over and this was part of the feast.

I learned this "Spatch-cock" method on this site a couple years back.  You cut out the backbone with some sharp shears and butterfly the bird open.  It cooks a lot faster, and I think it helps the smoke penetrate the meat easier.  I injected it lightly with a mixture of melted butter and Wicker's marinade.  I then rubbed the skin with olive oil and then gave it a heavy sprinkle of rub.  I used my kettle for this, building a briq fire on one side and the birds on the other.  I threw some hickory chips in and let those chicks cook until they hit 175*.  Juicy and great flavor!

Prepped up:

ca2e0ceb_IMG00062-20100815-152100000.jpg

The birds are on:

a62b5c53_IMG00063-20100815-1542.jpg

After a couple of hours:

88a0e27b_chicks.jpg

Last edited:
nice Q view 
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

i just finished eating, and those birds made me hungry again!  LOL

and, ohhhhhh!  so that's what spatch-cocked means!  i've heard the term, but never knew what it meant.  thanks!

Nice, those look good and i just tried them this way last time and i think i will always do them like this, they do cook quicker and seem to take

in more flavor being cut open.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky