Sous Vide Summer Sausage/Hot Sticks

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

wibigfish

Original poster
Aug 27, 2020
I've ran some searches on this and researched Baldwin's tables, but I wanted to ask some of the more experienced folks on here about smoking sausage and hot sticks then using sous vide to finish the cook.

Essentially, I'd like to run my smoker at like 110-125 with no smoke for an hour, then maintain that temp while adding smoke for 3 hours give or take.

Then I'd like to chamber vac the meat and put into a sous vide bath to finish, which is where I'm running into a bit of confusion.

I'm using the ConYeager Summer Sausage kit to start, 73 mm casings about. I'd have the sous vide water in the cooler set to 152, so the way I'm reading it is I should run the meat in the sous vide for a minimum of 3 1/4 hours. However, the chart says that is for 70mm, so I'm assuming 4 hours would be sufficient, and most likely I'd go 4.5 hours.

Is there any issue with leaving them go longer than necessary?

For the hot sticks it looks like 20mm casings would take about 45 minutes at 151, but again I'd probably add an additional 30 mins or so?

Just want to make sure I'm not missing anything and truly appreciate any input or advice! I'm trying to shortcut the learning curve a bit, but also make sure I'm doing things safely as the sous vide is new to me.

Thanks, Matt

I’m now finishing all my sausages in the SV naked. The Polish poach them directly so I SV the same way. I also am running 151*.
My sausage comes out of the smokehouse running about 140* so my finish time in the water bath is pretty fast. 32mm hog casings about 30-45 minutes, my 5” red bologna casings finish in about 2 hours, but again I’m coming out of the smokehouse with IT real close to 140*, but I think you are on the right track. The process of SV for finishing works very well and no fat out. Makes my hog casings snap and bite clean through easy.

Reactions: zwiller
I’m now finishing all my sausages in the SV naked. The Polish poach them directly so I SV the same way. I also am running 151*.
My sausage comes out of the smokehouse running about 140* so my finish time in the water bath is pretty fast. 32mm hog casings about 30-45 minutes, my 5” red bologna casings finish in about 2 hours, but again I’m coming out of the smokehouse with IT real close to 140*, but I think you are on the right track. The process of SV for finishing works very well and no fat out. Makes my hog casings snap and bite clean through easy.

Thank you, I'm thinking that theoretically it shouldn't make a difference if I leave them in the SV for a bit longer than recommended.

Thank you, I'm thinking that theoretically it shouldn't make a difference if I leave them in the SV for a bit longer than recommended.
An hour or so longer is fine . Adding time for insurance is good though . Just don't go to long . It's not the same as fat out , but it can separate / lose moisture .
Here's some I did way back . Might help ya out . Casings sizes , times and temps .

I am with chopsaw chopsaw Should not make a big difference with some extra time but not too long. One thing I never picked up until after SVing awhile is that I overlooked the fact there are 2 charts to be used. 1 for how long it takes to get with 1F of set temp and 2 time to pasteurize. You want to add both times together. I LOVE my SV and use it alot but only take a few hours in the smoker to cook my SS.

My sausage comes out of the smokehouse running about 140* so my finish time in the water bath is pretty fast.
You ramping or just run that temp? I usually smoke 100-110F and bump to 160F and cover the vent for the cook. Just ran these. 18 hours smoke @ 100F and taken to 150Fish IT.

20220321_200228_resized-1-jpg.562476

Reactions: chopsaw
You ramping or just run that temp? I usually smoke 100-110F and bump to 160F and cover the vent for the cook. Just ran these. 18 hours smoke @ 100F and taken to 150Fish IT.
120F for 1 hour no smoke then smoke for 1hour then bump to 130F with smoke 1hour then bump 140F with smoke 1hour. If color is where I want I pull them if not 1 more hour at 140F with smoke then pull and into SV.

Reactions: zwiller
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky