Sous Vide pork chop

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

6GRILLZNTN

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Sep 12, 2018
Murfreesboro, TN
I have to give credit to Jim JLeonard JLeonard for this one. When he posted his SV pork loin the other day, my Inkbird SV machine was somewhere in Fedex land. I got it Friday and tried a pork loin just like Jim had done, and it was awesome. Tonight it was time to try a bone in pork chop. Brushed with a little soy sauce, and sprinkled with low sodium Montreal steak seasoning. Vac sealed, and into the SV at 145 for around an hour and a half. Took it out, patted it dry, and hit it with a blow torch for a good sear. Served it up with some mashed taters, slow cooked green beans, and some whole wheat French bread. A little pork gravy on the taters and chop. The SV chop was incredible. I can't believe I hadn't bought one of these sooner.
IMG_0933.jpeg

Nice meal Dave, those SV units do have their place in cooking and that is certainly one!

Really looks tasty man…

Also, ya have to watch out for that JLeonard JLeonard … he can be a bad influence… in a good way! 🤣

• Haha
Reactions: bauchjw and babydoc
Looks delicious, Dave! SV is about the only way I do chops anymore. They always turn out tender and moist.

Reactions: JLeonard
Interesting. Pork chops are one of the few things we can’t seem to get the sous vide to do right. They’re always dry. I gave up and just grill them where I don’t have any trouble leaving them juicy.

Jbo

Reactions: JLeonard
Nice meal Dave, those SV units do have their place in cooking and that is certainly one!

Really looks tasty man…

Also, ya have to watch out for that JLeonard JLeonard … he can be a bad influence… in a good way! 🤣
Thanks man. Jim is innocent (this time). I had already ordered my SV before he posted his SV pork loin.
Looks delicious, Dave! SV is about the only way I do chops anymore. They always turn out tender and moist.
Thanks. They were pretty good for the first time out of the gate.
Interesting. Pork chops are one of the few things we can’t seem to get the sous vide to do right. They’re always dry. I gave up and just grill them where I don’t have any trouble leaving them juicy.

Jbo
Mine were a touch dry. I bough the chops at Wally World, and they aren't always the greatest. Not sure if it was the chop, or my fault. Still very good. When I sv'd a pork loin earlier, it was very juicy.

1.5 to 2 hrs at 145 (add an hour if frozen) makes mine tender and juicy. How long of a sear do you do? I dried out my first attempt by searing too long.

I did 1.5 hours out of the fridge. I may have seared too long. Those dang blow torches can be too much fun sometimes.
I do it quickly, moving the flame around a lot. I'm just trying to get some color, not cook it more. Maybe takes a minute actual flame time to do a couple chops.

I do it quickly, moving the flame around a lot. I'm just trying to get some color, not cook it more. Maybe takes a minute actual flame time to do a couple chops.
I'm used to blow torching bolts off of stuff, not taking one to my food. It was a smaller butane torch, but who knows. First time it was still good though. Now it was juicy closer to the bone

Reactions: DougE
Try lighting a half full chimney of lump. Get it screaming hot and slap a grate over top. Throw the chop on the grate just long enough for a decent sear. Maybe 20 or 30 seconds a side. I actually think you get a little more flavor off the coals, but I usually go with the torch for convenience. I just use a regular old propane torch like you sweat pipes with. I do the same with SV steaks, but lower temp in the SV for them.

With pork loin and chicken breast, try brining them or dry brine at least 4 hours before SV. The brining will help a bunch. I usually have no issue with fresh known to me meat, but whenever I get chops, loin or breast from a different source I always brine or dry brine. Never disappointed.

Dang, that looks good enough to eat! I haven't tried a pork chop in the sous vide up until now, that'll change very soon. I'll try searing in a 650º CI skillet, 20 seconds a side. RAY

I mean, who doesn't like a chop, especially one looking that good! I've thought about setting into SV for a bit now, gonna have to start looking at some units. Thanks for posting.

Dave

Reactions: sawhorseray
Well for once someone says I'm a good influence!!! Man that is a great looking meal. And that gravy...well its just icing on the cake.
I like to SV and then into a screaming hot CI skillet. Just a minute or so per side just for a little color. Usually do this in the winter or when the weather is bad. Now during the summer I will fire up the kettle and vortex and do them that way. It does tend to add a little flavor.

Jim

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky