Sous Vide only Summer sausage

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bill ace 350

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Dec 28, 2013
Anyone ever made summer sausage using SousVide only, skipping the smoking portion?

Thinking about trying it.

Sous vide time and temp recommendations for different diameter casings?

Thanks

I use this one . Something else is when done I ice bath it . Get it cooled down as fast as possible .
In a cooler and dump a bag of ice on it .
This was start to finish in SV . Cotto Salami . 140 for 6 hours . That was some added time to be safe . I don't add much time to the chart now . Maybe a half hour . The chart stopped at 70 mm . I used 80mm . So added enough to be sure . Gives good texture .
20181202_103103.jpg

I use this one . Something else is when done I ice bath it . Get it cooled down as fast as possible .
In a cooler and dump a bag of ice on it .
This was start to finish in SV . Cotto Salami . 140 for 6 hours . That was some added time to be safe . I don't add much time to the chart now . Maybe a half hour . The chart stopped at 70 mm . I used 80mm . So added enough to be sure . Gives good texture .
View attachment 487164

That looks awesome! Thanks for the chart!

Reactions: chopsaw
xyfBzEK.jpg

Kind, sorta..... I've used SV to cook cold smoked bologna, and in my case the bologna was only in the 30°'s after 6 or 7 hours of cold smoking as it was a fall day. I use the 2.5" FB casings, and the Doug Baldwin charts. At 151° the recommended processing time was 2.5 hours, but I switched that up a bit:

I start with water temp of 125°, and ramp up the temp over an hour to 150°. At 150° I start my timer and process for 3 hours. Then move the zipper bag into a cold water bath.
YmXcsuP.jpg

View attachment 487165

Kind, sorta..... I've used SV to cook cold smoked bologna, and in my case the bologna was only in the 30°'s after 6 or 7 hours of cold smoking as it was a fall day. I use the 2.5" FB casings, and the Doug Baldwin charts. At 151° the recommended processing time was 2.5 hours, but I switched that up a bit:

I start with water temp of 125°, and ramp up the temp over an hour to 150°. At 150° I start my timer and process for 3 hours. Then move the zipper bag into a cold water bath.
View attachment 487166
Thanks. Looks awesome.

I make Salami using 65MM X18 inch Collagen Casings from Sausage Maker and smoke them for 5 hours to get a 125 degree internal temperature. Then into a 170 degree Sous Vide bath for approximately 40 minutes to attain an internal temperature of 152 degrees. Then into an ice bath and then dried and hung up for two weeks to dry and lose thirty percent weight. The results is an excellent hard Salami similar to the ones hanging in the Delis up in New York and Chicago.
mds51

Reactions: bill ace 350
I make Salami using 65MM X18 inch Collagen Casings from Sausage Maker and smoke them for 5 hours to get a 125 degree internal temperature. Then into a 170 degree Sous Vide bath for approximately 40 minutes to attain an internal temperature of 152 degrees. Then into an ice bath and then dried and hung up for two weeks to dry and lose thirty percent weight. The results is an excellent hard Salami similar to the ones hanging in the Delis up in New York and Chicago.
mds51
Sounds awesome !

Care to share recipe?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky