Sorry, originally posted in the Roll Call - need help with improving pig cooker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bensb34

Original poster
May 1, 2022
Maryland
Hi all, newbie from Md. here - and sorry for stupid questions but I don’t really have any idea what I am doing and sure could use some advice.

Here’s the deal - I bought a charcoal pig cooker from a neighbor, it’s in good shape on a trailer, but there are some things I would like top fix. Pictures below if I can figure out how to post them. 3’ x 5’ cooking surface.

Right now, it is a basic barrel cooker with fireplace brick on the bottom, then a charcoal grate (just 1/4 sheet with holes), then a cooking grate at the top of the bottom half of the barrel. On one end, there is a charcoal clean out/put in door with an adjustable vent. Top is really heavy to open (has two springs on the back).

I have trouble keeping my kettle grill at temp., but I want to learn how to do this right - but before that was wondering about some changes to the grill -

1. Want to put in a new charcoal pan - thinking about tack welding a few supports on the sides above the fire bricks and then putting in another pan. Was thinking sheet just bent up on the edges a couple of inches.

2. Also, looking at what people have posted on here, thought about putting in a pipe burner - but didn’t know what kind of temp it would get up to. If that was an option, wondered about having a divided charcoal pan (lengthwise) offset towards the front of the grill with one long pipe burner on the front side. Is it crazy to consider putting a pipe burner below the charcoal pan - running lengthwise between the fireplace brick and pan?

3. What would you guys (and girls) who know your stuff do to make this work - the more it is used the more likely it sitting in the driveway is overlooked 🙂

Thanks all!!

Ben

Attachments

• D2A703FC-0BDF-408C-B22A-E85BE418CF7A.jpeg
    D2A703FC-0BDF-408C-B22A-E85BE418CF7A.jpeg
    260.2 KB · Views: 14
  • 6CDF7ADE-684F-4B6B-9E5C-8DABE17504AF.jpeg
    6CDF7ADE-684F-4B6B-9E5C-8DABE17504AF.jpeg
    197.7 KB · Views: 14
  • F186F839-F238-4067-9C93-FB12BD67E7AD.jpeg
    F186F839-F238-4067-9C93-FB12BD67E7AD.jpeg
    240 KB · Views: 13
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky