Something A Little Different: Taco Pizza (Q-View)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tx smoker

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Apr 14, 2013
Lago Vista, Texas
I had some of the NY Strip roast left over from last weekend so ground it up while I was grinding meat for sausage. Decided to do something a tad different and make tacos with it, but not just regular tacos.I thought it'd be fun to do a pizza. Don't know that I've ever seen it done before, but that surely can't mean that somebody hasn't done it. It was pretty basic but here goes....

Almost 2 pounds of the ground strip roast seasoned with my homemade taco spice mix
019.jpg

The dough finished proofing
020.jpg

Roll the dough out on the 14" CI pizza pan, spread the taco meat, and add some chopped onions
021.jpg

Lots of shredded extra sharp smoked cheddar
022.jpg

Made up some pico de gallo per Joe ( xray xray ) We go through a LOT of this stuff!!
023.jpg

It was cooked on the grill under the pizza dome. Temp running about 400. All done.
024.jpg

Plated up with some pico and we are good to go!!
025.jpg

Well I gotta say this was about the best "basic" taco I've had. The meat picked up some flavor from the grill but the big difference was the crust. We ate crispy taco shells for a long time then switched over to soft tortillas. Neither really had a lot of appeal but we love tacos so just went with what we had. The crust is somewhere in between and is fantastic. Not too soft, and not too crunchy. Next time I will add some Mexican spices to the dough to amp it up but there was no lack of flavor with the taco seasoning and fresh pico. This one has been a game changer for us. The only thing is that you have to plan a little in advance because it takes an hour and a half to make the dough...well for the bread machine to make the dough :emoji_wink: Anybody that's really into pizzas and makes their own dough can attest to the quality and flavor difference. There's just no comparison. Well, I'm gonna call this one done. thanks for taking a look and I'll see y'all on the next one.

Robert

Taco pizza is a favorite of mine from a local pizza joint. Yours looks very, very good! Like!

When I was a kid our local pizza place had a taco pizza like this. It was by far my brother and I favorite thing to get from them. Haven't had one in a long time. I am likely making some pizzas for this weekend and Mondays football. Looks like I might have to do a taco pizza!! Great job on this one Robert looks awesome!

Last edited:
Taco pizza or pizza taco, mox-nix, I'd eat that in a heartbeat Robert, Like! I bet that pico adds a real nice flavor too. RAY

Reactions: Steve H
I bet it does Ray. Robert, being the mad scientist that he is, came up with another unique idea that "pops" I haven't seen fresh pico on a taco pizza before.

Taco pizza is a favorite of mine from a local pizza joint. Yours looks very, very good! Like!

Thanks Steve!! Appreciate it buddy. I knew that just because I'd not seen it done before that somebody somewhere had to have done it. Guess I've just led a sheltered life.

Great job on this one Robert looks awesome!

Appreciate it Jeff, and you fixed it, but not before I saw the error :emoji_laughing:

Looks and sounds good, but no red gravy?

Well Dan, you don't know how close you were to seeing some. I actually planned to make an enchilada sauce for it but Tracy held me firm to the traditional taco roots and said "no gravy". I was kinda bummed but this was good. She did say "except for salsa" but I thought the pico would go well with it.

Robert

Reactions: DanMcG
Bravo sir. Taco pizza looks incredible! Seems to me like you nailed it pretty hard. Nice work buddy!

Thanks so much John. I heard a rumor that you got one of those CI pizza pans and were wanting some Mexican themed food but were considering pizza also. This might scratch both itches.

Taco pizza or pizza taco, mox-nix, I'd eat that in a heartbeat Robert, Like! I bet that pico adds a real nice flavor too.

Hmmm...pizza taco. That might just work. i'll have to think about that one :emoji_laughing: Thank you for the kind words my friend. Appreciate it.

We really like taco pizza Robert and yours looks top notch! Nice job!

Thanks so much. I cannot believe I've never seen these done before. It looks like everybody else has. Maybe I need to yell at my mom for keeping me in a cage all my life :emoji_wink:

Robert

I bet it does Ray. Robert, being the mad scientist that he is, came up with another unique idea that "pops" I haven't seen fresh pico on a taco pizza before.

Yes sir!! The pico really did make it pop. the nice fresh notes id added made a big difference over straight salsa.

Man that looks good. You had me at the pico.

After getting that recipe from Joe and making it, that's a huge fan favorite around here. I probably make pico 3 times a week and use it for all kinds of stuff, not just on Mexican themed meals.

Robert

Sure looks good! We love taco pizza also, but never had it with pico on it.

Ryan

Taco pizza is a favorite of mine. Love it. Great take on it, may have to make one myself now soon. Its relatively common at the pizza joints around me, even Taco Bell has one, but none are as good as homemade!

C
I had some of the NY Strip roast left over from last weekend so ground it up while I was grinding meat for sausage. Decided to do something a tad different and make tacos with it, but not just regular tacos.I thought it'd be fun to do a pizza. Don't know that I've ever seen it done before, but that surely can't mean that somebody hasn't done it. It was pretty basic but here goes....

Almost 2 pounds of the ground strip roast seasoned with my homemade taco spice mix
View attachment 479216

The dough finished proofing
View attachment 479217

Roll the dough out on the 14" CI pizza pan, spread the taco meat, and add some chopped onions
View attachment 479218

Lots of shredded extra sharp smoked cheddar
View attachment 479219

Made up some pico de gallo per Joe ( xray xray ) We go through a LOT of this stuff!!
View attachment 479220

It was cooked on the grill under the pizza dome. Temp running about 400. All done.
View attachment 479221

Plated up with some pico and we are good to go!!
View attachment 479224

Well I gotta say this was about the best "basic" taco I've had. The meat picked up some flavor from the grill but the big difference was the crust. We ate crispy taco shells for a long time then switched over to soft tortillas. Neither really had a lot of appeal but we love tacos so just went with what we had. The crust is somewhere in between and is fantastic. Not too soft, and not too crunchy. Next time I will add some Mexican spices to the dough to amp it up but there was no lack of flavor with the taco seasoning and fresh pico. This one has been a game changer for us. The only thing is that you have to plan a little in advance because it takes an hour and a half to make the dough...well for the bread machine to make the dough :emoji_wink: Anybody that's really into pizzas and makes their own dough can attest to the quality and flavor difference. There's just no comparison. Well, I'm gonna call this one done. thanks for taking a look and I'll see y'all on the next one.

Robert
Creative, well done

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky