Some rib eyes and stuffed Poblanos

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Steve H

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Feb 18, 2018
Newark New York
Had this a couple days ago. We were in the mood for ABTs. But the jalapenos at the store were on the small side and not the best looking. So, I used poblanos instead.

P1170001.JPG

No way was these going to fit on my jalapeno rack! So, I improvised by using a aluminum foil pan to hold them up.
Simple blend of 50/50 cream cheese and cheddar, with mild sausage. Spiced with SPOG. Only had thick cut bacon. So, I precooked it first.

P1170004.JPG

I didn't cook enough bacon. So these weren't fully wrapped.

P1170005.JPG

Did the rib eyes in a CI. Weather was way to nasty for outdoor cooking. Had a salad on the side. Everything came out fantastic.

Whoa, that is one really fine cook Steve, I'd be all over that, huge Like! Ugly weather just about everywhere this time of year, let the crockpot be your friend, makes the whole house smell wonderful! RAY

Reactions: SecondHandSmoker
Damn Steve, that looks fantastic!! The steaks are a given but I love the idea of the stuffed, bacon wrapped poblanos. Genius my friend. I'm gonna be stealing this one, you can count on that :emoji_wink:

Robert

That looks awesome, supersized ABTs! That had to be so tasty with the Rib eye, making my mouth water. I'd like to try that, but instead of wrapping the bigger peppers, chop them up and mix with the cream cheese, stuffing the peppers like a boat instead of from the top. Really cool, thank you for sharing an awesome meal!

That looks awesome, supersized ABTs! That had to be so tasty with the Rib eye, making my mouth water. I'd like to try that, but instead of wrapping the bigger peppers, chop them up and mix with the cream cheese, stuffing the peppers like a boat instead of from the top. Really cool, thank you for sharing an awesome meal!
That's a good idea to stuff like a boat and use the bacon to give it a little more structure. Did you mean cut some and stuff some, or just cut the boat opening pieces to be mixed into cheese/ sausage mixture?

That's a good idea to stuff like a boat and use the bacon to give it a little more structure. Did you mean cut some and stuff some, or just cut the boat opening pieces to be mixed into cheese/ sausage mixture?
Hm, reading back at my post it didn't make much sense! I was thinking of cooking and chopping up the bacon ahead of time to mix with the cream cheese/cheese stuffing. Then place inside the pepper sliced vertical instead of horizontal, to look more like a boat than a bucket. But, maybe lining the inside of the pepper with bacon then filling with cream cheese stuffing, is that what you were thinking?

Hm, reading back at my post it didn't make much sense! I was thinking of cooking and chopping up the bacon ahead of time to mix with the cream cheese/cheese stuffing. Then place inside the pepper sliced vertical instead of horizontal, to look more like a boat than a bucket. But, maybe lining the inside of the pepper with bacon then filling with cream cheese stuffing, is that what you were thinking?
I've made many stuffed hatch or poblano chilli's using the boat shape. Your idea just said to cut them up and then stuff them and you can't do both. I usually cut up the part I cut off the top for the boat and put them in the stuffing. I like the idea of then wrapping the bacon around the outside as Steve did. Then you just have a horizontal version of his, which looks awesome.

Putting it inside might be good as well, but don't want to take up too much room from the stuffing.

Reactions: bauchjw
Looks great Steve!! I could dig both the peppers and steak for sure. Often when I have leftover mix I’ll do the same with poblanos to use the rest up. Kind of like an entree ABT.

Nice job Steve. I like the idea of subbing the poblanos for the jalapenos.

I think i've looked at this a dozen times today trying to decide whats for dinner. I just dont want to go to the store to get the poblanos. They look so good. Thanks for sharing.

Damn nice dinner Steve. Way to improvise with the poblanos and the foil holder trick.

Our jalapeños look pitiful here and the poblanos if they have them, you can’t buy them individually.

Great looking plate. As others have said...I could put that plate into a daily rotation.
Jim

Looks delicious Steve ! I was going to buy some rib steaks at Costco for my birthday but when I saw the price tag of 27 dollars per pound I took a rain check!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky