Some Andouille and Kabanosy

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

rgautheir20420

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Jun 11, 2014
Crest Hill, IL (Chicagoland)
Made 5 lbs of Len Poli's Kabanosy on Saturday and I've got 5 lbs of Andouille stuffed and chilling in the fridge to be smoked tonight. I used 19mm collagen casings for the Kabanosy and smoked and finished in about 5 hours. I had to rush them a bit but still managed no fat out. The casings I pulled them from the smoker and just let them cool down on the counter so the casings shrinked nicely. They're very good. Andouille will be amazing too....of course.

RG, Great looking sticks and sausage !!!
points.gif

I used whole seeds. They could be ground too though. I don't mind the whole seeds because I think it sort of keeps the flavor of the Caraway in check. It's a very noticeable flavor, and if it's ground, I feel like it might just end up muddled with everything. It's nice to bit a piece off and each spice and different times of the chew....make sense?

I was kind of thinking the same thing. Don't want the caraway to overpower it. I only have some 21mm collagen casings but the store I get these from carries 17mm also. I may try these with some smaller casings and see how it goes.

That's the plan. Been out of snack sticks for awhile now. Marianski describes Kabanosy as "probably the finest meat stick in the world" so I may as well try some.

Nice. I did a very course grind on mine also. They were a bit of a pain to stuff into such small casings, but it worked out nicely. Remember to add a bit more water than you might need to help the meat mixture along...mine could have used another 1/2 cup probably.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky