Some Andouille and Kabanosy

Discussion in 'Sausage' started by rgautheir20420, Mar 16, 2015.

1. Made 5 lbs of Len Poli's Kabanosy on Saturday and I've got 5 lbs of Andouille stuffed and chilling in the fridge to be smoked tonight. I used 19mm collagen casings for the Kabanosy and smoked and finished in about 5 hours. I had to rush them a bit but still managed no fat out. The casings I pulled them from the smoker and just let them cool down on the counter so the casings shrinked nicely. They're very good. Andouille will be amazing too....of course.

c farmer and crazymoon like this.
  2. c farmer

c farmer Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Looks awesome.

I have to give sticks a shot.

3. reinhard

reinhard Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Very nice looking sticks!!!!  I'll be looking forward to the links to finish in the smoker.  Reinhard

4. c, they really were very easy and the end result is just great. I'll add a tsp or 2 to the next batch to add a bit of heat, but it's a solid starting point. 

5. Looks Great!

6. driedstick

driedstick Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Them stick look great nice job

DS

7. kadoka

kadoka Smoke Blower

Nice looking sausage Rickey! Got to get together sometime.

Rick

8. b-one

b-one Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Looks great!

9. Thanks everyone. They started in the smoke about 1 hour ago. Kadoka, anytime and I'm in....as long it's ok with the wifey :)

10. disco

disco Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

These are looking terrific!

Disco

11. Out of the smoker, into the water bath, cut up into links, and sitting on a plate in the fridge to bloom for a day or two. They came out very nice.

A couple hours into the smoke.

12. crazymoon

crazymoon Master of the Pit SMF Premier Member

RG, Great looking sticks and sausage !!![​IMG]

13. chewmeister

chewmeister Smoking Fanatic SMF Premier Member

Those look awesome. Been wanting to try both of them. [​IMG]

14. Thanks CM.
    I always have to have a stock on hand because I can't get anything to my liking up here in Chicago. They get made every few weeks it seems.

15. chewmeister

One question. I see that most recipes for Kabanosy call for caraway. Do you use whole seeds or grind them up?

16. I used whole seeds. They could be ground too though. I don't mind the whole seeds because I think it sort of keeps the flavor of the Caraway in check. It's a very noticeable flavor, and if it's ground, I feel like it might just end up muddled with everything. It's nice to bit a piece off and each spice and different times of the chew....make sense?

17. chewmeister

I was kind of thinking the same thing. Don't want the caraway to overpower it. I only have some 21mm collagen casings but the store I get these from carries 17mm also. I may try these with some smaller casings and see how it goes.

18. They're great for snacking!

19. chewmeister

That's the plan. Been out of snack sticks for awhile now. Marianski describes Kabanosy as "probably the finest meat stick in the world" so I may as well try some.

20. Nice. I did a very course grind on mine also. They were a bit of a pain to stuff into such small casings, but it worked out nicely. Remember to add a bit more water than you might need to help the meat mixture along...mine could have used another 1/2 cup probably.