So, I found this YouTube Kielbasa recipe...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

HowlingDog

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jan 16, 2019
I don't make alot of sausage and because I do not make alot, I do not have a good sense of how the spices will taste and I was wondering if anyone has used the combination of spices listed below and what you thought of it. I found this recipe on YouTube (probably my first mistake). The ingredients are:

70% pork and 30% beef

Salt
Brown Sugar
Cure #1

Black Pepper (.5%)
Garlic Powder (.187%0
Marjoram (less than .5%)

Mustard Seed (about .125%)

And, this is the one that is prompting the ask, Pickling Spice (.0625%).....

It looks like a fairly basic Kielbasa recipe, but the Brown Sugar and the Pickling Spice made me stop and say, "Huh, I gotta ask the Forum about this"

The ratios seem really small to have much of an inpact, but as anyone used brown sugar and Pickling spice in Kielbasa and how was it??? I have seen mustard seed in several recipes and I think it is somewhat common.

It is gonna be over a month till I get to it (as soon as I am done with a medical treatment regime), so I as I sit around, I spend too much time on the internet. Thx for any feedback....

Mark

Reactions: kelbro
I don't make a lot of sausage but that does seem like a strange one. Since it was on Youtube did you see what they were referring to as pickling spice? Did it look like pickling spice? All the pickling spice I've ever seen has some very large particles in it. Not so sure I'd want to bite into one lol.
Do you have a link to the video?
Good luck with your treatment!

I don't make a lot of sausage but that does seem like a strange one. Since it was on Youtube did you see what they were referring to as pickling spice? Did it look like pickling spice? All the pickling spice I've ever seen has some very large particles in it. Not so sure I'd want to bite into one lol.
Do you have a link to the video?
Good luck with your treatment!
I've seen two different versions of pickling spices. One like you described and another one with smaller parts like mustard and dill seeds. I used the bulkier one and picked out the large pieces.

Thanks!!

I just made 3# of that recipe but haven't tasted it yet.
I look forward to your review kelbro!!!

Thanks cptnding cptnding , and thanks for the luck. I am 24 of 38 treatments in.... There are actually two different folks who made videos. When I looked, I did not clearly see what I think of as pickling spice with many seeds and large particles. I pulled out my bottle of Sausage Maker Pickling Spice and I what the links show does not look like that. Perhaps they ground it in a spice grinder? Here are the two videos:

Mark

Update. I just tasted this right out of the poach and before blooming. It's a little different and pretty good. A little bit of sweet in there. Should have used the smaller (Ball brand) pickling spice rather than the larger (McCormicks) pickling spice but that gave it a little punch when you hit one of the oddball spice pieces.

Thanks for the update kelbro!! I know it has not bloomed or rested yet, but would you make it again? Your use of "punch" and "oddball" is giving me some pause.....

I use brown sugar on occasion.... the percentages look OK, nothing over normal....
Thanks... The pickling spice is what is throwing me. I have seen mustard seed or coriander, allspice, cloves and other pickling spice ingredients in various sausages, but not all together. I thought it sounded "savory", but I was not expecting "oddball" :emoji_thinking:

Thanks for the update kelbro!! I know it has not bloomed or rested yet, but would you make it again? Your use of "punch" and "oddball" is giving me some pause.....
Honestly, the sweet doesn't bug me but at this point I'm pretty sure that I would leave the 'pickling spice' out next time.

Hot guts and peppery kielbasa are my favorites but a little change every now and then never hurt anybody!

Hot guts and peppery kielbasa are my favorites
Thanks. I am kinda looking for something between kielbasa and hot guts, a bit less heat, a bit more "zest", if that makes sense....

I am 24 of 38 treatments in....
Ouch. That sounds rough. Hang in there my friend. Keep the faith and good things will happen.
Ground pickling spice makes a lot more sense to me. I was wondering if that was what they were calling for. When the time is right give it a go and let us know how it turns out for you.
Here in North GA independent meat markets are still pretty common. Every small town usually has at least one and they all sell their own version of smoked kielbasa. Usually either mild or hot. My favorites have always been the ones that are course ground and on the mild side. I like a lot of spicy thing but most of the hot ones just seem like they have a lot of cayenne pepper and it blows out the taste of everything else.

a lot of spicy thing but most of the hot ones just seem like they have a lot of cayenne pepper and it blows out the taste of everything else.
That is what I find too, too much heat and that is all you taste for hours after. This recipe seemed interesting, but I think I will keep looking. Tallbm has a great Texas Hot Link/Gut recipe I tried and it turned out yummy. I should dig it up and compare to this one.

Thanks for the encouragement, it is appreciated.

Mark

I've found the same... often too much cayenne. I like spicy but black pepper in sausage does it for me. Growing up eating central Texas Czech and German sausage ruined me!

I find most YT recipes are junk or weak at best. That being said, recipe looks at least edible LOL. Hope it's good. The "green book" is a MUST if you really want to get into sausage and related stuff. https://www.amazon.com/Home-Product...&tag=wedlinydomowe-20&linkId=4RKCWF4CVSKUSLLD

I like spicy but black pepper in sausage does it for me. Growing up eating central Texas Czech and German sausage ruined me!
Funny... I am TOTALLY convinced Texas sausages are basically german recipes made with black pepper instead of white (and a little more). LOVE pepper. Fresh ground a MUST.

Growing up eating central Texas Czech and German sausage ruined me!
Marianski has a Texas hot link formula on his website . It's under fresh sausages . It's a fantastic grilling sausage . I add in Carolina reader powder . I've made it cured and smoked also , but I like it fresh and grilled .

Reactions: zwiller
Grilled some of this up this morning for breakfast. It was a little different but pretty good eating. Even though they work in ham, biting into one of the cloves is not something that I can recall ever being in a sausage.

So, I found another recipe that seems interesting. I was a fan of the Costco Polish dogs they USED to sell here in California. They dropped the Polish dogs (I am still upset), but while searching, I found a recipe that the author went out of his way to say it is NOT a knock off, but says it is a great Polish grilling sausage. With that kind of disclaimer, I HAVE to try it. The ingredients are:

Recipe for 1kg of meat
The author lists three different "classes" of pork to use, but it is all pork.
Ingredients
Salt, 16
Cure #1, 1.5g
Pepper, medium grind, 3g
Fresh garlic, 6g
Marjoram, 1.5g
Sweet Hungarian paprika, 2g
Ground mustard, 2g
100ml. iced water

I gotta find me some Sweet Hungarian Paprika. Might even bump up the Marjoram to 2g as well. Live on the edge!!!

Reactions: Coach JoeQB
I thought the first recipe the ratio's just looked off. The second one seemed a lot closer to right. As for youtube recipes I agree there's a lot of youtube experts who are dumber than me. That's really dumb, LOL.

Chuds on youtube is ok and a good place to start. He has one on the master ratios and so far it's been right on.

I take my recipes from each sausage and plug it into EXCELL so I can see the ratios to produce it again or change what it needs. I am a relative newbie but my sausage so far has been really good at least according to others. My wife hates 90% of what I make, but she called my Chicken Feta and Sundried Tomato as the best she has ever had.

I like the idea of mustard seed in the Kielbasa, that reminds me of what I would get in Brooklyn.

Joe

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky