Snack Sticks

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

poacherjoe

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Nov 7, 2019
Central Ca
Well the last time I made sticks they were so so . I used 80/20 ground beef and I tried a few of P&S seasonings . The Willies seasoning was the best of the bunch and the Pepper and Chipolte wildfire didn't activate my taste buds . A buddy just made some LC Leggs #207 pepperoni sticks and they were great ! He used venison and pork chops 50/50 . That seems like a higher fat ratio then my 80/20 beef burger. Should I add some more fat to my sticks to make them taste better ? I still have 4 three pound chubs of that 80/20 to use up but was wondering if by adding some ground up pork butt to it would it make those so so seasoning mixes taste better?? Should I take more fat off the pork butts vs meat for this purpose ?? Or just grind the butt up and use it ?

pc farmer

Epic Pitmaster
Staff member
Administrator
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Feb 17, 2013
Central Pa
When I make sticks I use 80/20 beef, pork sausage meat and venison. My opinion the beef isnt enough fat. Add some ground pork shoulder

tbern

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Dec 27, 2015
Southwest Minnesota
One thought, they sell a 73-27 hamburger ratio, maybe try mixing some of that in to your 80-20 to increase the fat ratio?

Fueling Around

Master of the Pit
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Dec 10, 2018
FL winter, MN summer
Need pork fat in the ratio. It adds a better mouth feel.
Venison is basically a 0% fat meat so adding pork fat is a win.
I assume you use collagen casing. They need to wet with some fat as well.

crazymoon

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Aug 24, 2014
Great North Woods, NH
PJ, I make my sticks out of pork butt and remove the back fat cap for future venison mixes. The sticks come out great and have enough but not too much fat ! Try the PS jalapeno snack stick spice, very tasty.I always grind and mix my spice and then let it sit in the fridge for a day or two to get the spices to permeate the whole mix.

Reactions: chopsaw

Latest posts

Hot Threads