Snack Sticks - AC Legg 116 base with modifications

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
My bulk scale is a UltraShip 55 with a max weight capability of 55 pounds. It seems to work great and I can tare out the weight of even my stainless mixing bowls.

6HdZDBbh.jpg

The precision gram scale I use is a American Weigh Scalemate SM-501. For a precision scale you need one that will display 0.01 grams (1/100th of a gram). Also make sure to purchase the correct calibration weight with you precision scale. You want to be able to verify the accuracy and re-calibrate the scale if necessary. I turn on the scale, and check the calibration with the weight (mine is 100g), then I weight my spices, cure, etc....; when done I again check the calibration with the weight. If it reads the 100g calibration weight correctly at the start and end, I know my spice & cure weights are also correct between the 2 calibration checks.

6HdZDBbh.jpg

The reason I don't weight spices and cure with the bulk scale (the UltraShip), is for 0 to 2 pounds the resolution of that scale is 0.1 ounces. 0.1 ounces is 2.84 grams (and that would be a plus or minus 0.1 ounces or plus or minus 2.84 grams which is a 5.68 gram range). How do you run a 5 pound batch of meat that needs 5.67 grams of cure #1 when your scales can be off by as much as 5.68 grams. You could end up with twice the needed cure or dang near no cure. It gets even worse if you are trying to measure a 1 pound trial run of a new recipe and need only 1.13g of cure! You could have 500% too much cure if you use the bulk scale. But if I'm weighing out 5 pounds of meat and I'm off 0.1 ounces, who cares. That is what a bulk scale is for.

With a precision scale that reads in 1/100th of a gram and with a accuracy of plus or minus 0.02g you are much better off. So that same 5.67 grams on my precision scale "could" be 5.69 or 5.65 grams. But I think it is spot on as I'm checking the accuracy of the scale before and after weighing and the calibration weight reads 100.00 grams 99% of the time, and occasionally 100.01 or 99.99 the other 5% of the time. Close enough to be perfectly safe. The key is a precision scale that has 1/100th of a gram (0.01g) resolution.

So use a bulk scale for meat and tarring out your mixing containers (higher weights) and use a precision scale for your spices and cure.

My bulk scale is a UltraShip 55 with a max weight capability of 55 pounds. It seems to work great and I can tare out the weight of even my stainless mixing bowls.

The precision gram scale I use is a American Weigh Scalemate SM-501. For a precision scale you need one that will display 0.01 grams (1/100th of a gram). Also make sure to purchase the correct calibration weight with you precision scale. You want to be able to verify the accuracy and re-calibrate the scale if necessary. I turn on the scale, and check the calibration with the weight (mine is 100g), then I weight my spices, cure, etc....; when done I again check the calibration with the weight. If it reads the 100g calibration weight correctly at the start and end, I know my spice & cure weights are also correct between the 2 calibration checks.

The reason I don't weight spices and cure with the bulk scale (the UltraShip), is for 0 to 2 pounds the resolution of that scale is 0.1 ounces. 0.1 ounces is 2.84 grams (and that would be a plus or minus 0.1 ounces or plus or minus 2.84 grams which is a 5.68 gram range). How do you run a 5 pound batch of meat that needs 5.67 grams of cure #1 when your scales can be off by as much as 5.68 grams. You could end up with twice the needed cure or dang near no cure. It gets even worse if you are trying to measure a 1 pound trial run of a new recipe and need only 1.13g of cure! You could have 500% too much cure if you use the bulk scale. But if I'm weighing out 5 pounds of meat and I'm off 0.1 ounces, who cares. That is what a bulk scale is for.

With a precision scale that reads in 1/100th of a gram and with a accuracy of plus or minus 0.02g you are much better off. So that same 5.67 grams on my precision scale "could" be 5.69 or 5.65 grams. But I think it is spot on as I'm checking the accuracy of the scale before and after weighing and the calibration weight reads 100.00 grams 99% of the time, and occasionally 100.01 or 99.99 the other 5% of the time. Close enough to be perfectly safe. The key is a precision scale that has 1/100th of a gram (0.01g) resolution.

So use a bulk scale for meat and tarring out your mixing containers (higher weights) and use a precision scale for your spices and cure.

The thing I like about the scale Dave is showing is:
  • Removable flex face display for weighing oversized boxes.
The scale I have doesn't do that, and it's a PITA when I have to weigh things bigger than the scale. I have to try to balance it on the scale without it falling off the back, in order to be able to read the scale.

Bear

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    933.2 KB · Views: 3
This is an oldie but a goofy. I ease back just a tiny bit on the eca. And add just a tiny bit more of the jalapeno. Outstanding..people at work want to buy them..oh yeah and I add accent,....

This is an oldie but a goofy. I ease back just a tiny bit on the eca. And add just a tiny bit more of the jalapeno. Outstanding..people at work want to buy them..oh yeah and I add accent,....
good to know

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky