Snack stick question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

buck bob

Original poster
Dec 28, 2015
Southern Michigan
Today I made snack sticks for the first time, I used a hi-mountain seasoning kit and smoked them as they recommended. They turned out ok but I was hoping they would be a little more firm, I'm thinking I should've cooked them at a lower temp longer to dry them out some instead of 200° until they hit 165°. So my question is, could I put them back in the smoker at 125-150° and firm them up some?

Today I made snack sticks for the first time, I used a hi-mountain seasoning kit and smoked them as they recommended. They turned out ok but I was hoping they would be a little more firm, I'm thinking I should've cooked them at a lower temp longer to dry them out some instead of 200° until they hit 165°. So my question is, could I put them back in the smoker at 125-150° and firm them up some?
You can but it won’t change much.

Place them in a large paper grocery bag or rap them in plain non waxed butcher paper and in to the refrigerator for a few days or even a week or longer. They will dry and firm up.

When you do the smoking process it should take 4-5 hours. Start low heat about 130F for an hour to dry them then bump temperature 10* every hour with continuous smoke until IT hits 151-154*. This process will help dry them out a bet but you still may want to paper bag or wrap to get them dryer.

If I'm reading right... You cooked at 200 degrees until an internal temp of 165 ... and they weren't dry with a crumbly texture (mouth feel) ??

If I'm reading right... You cooked at 200 degrees until an internal temp of 165 ... and they weren't dry with a crumbly texture (mouth feel) ??
Correct. Rereading the instructions it was a kit for summer sausage that is also used as snack sticks. Their cook to temp was 158f but to me I like the well done version

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky