snack stick Meat blends and %

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

buckscent

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Jul 6, 2010
B'ham Alabama
does anyone use a mix of beef and pork for snack sticks? If so what % of each. Im going to use an 80/20 but ogbthe 80 how much is beef and how much is pork? Same for Summer Sausage?

80 beef 20 pork. Now add some venison. That makes a good stix.

So your saying for simplicity total meat is 10lbs you do 8 lbs beef 2lbs pork and 2lbs fat? So wccording to that ypur over 100%
80/20 is 80% meat and 20% fat so I assume you use split up the 80% for the meats you use and the 20% will always be the fat......

What??? No ... 80 beef and 20 pork. MY stock has enough fat that I dont need to add more. I add venison to cut the fat down. That a whole nother mix.

Got it, so what if you use very lean beef and pork. Like a pork loin and eye of round? Those dont have a lot of fat so would need to add more. I see what your saying if the meat had a good fat count already.

Got it, so what if you use very lean beef and pork. Like a pork loin and eye of round? Those dont have a lot of fat so would need to add more. I see what your saying if the meat had a good fat count already.

Using those cuts I'd go something like 65% beef 20% pork and 15% fat OR 80% beef 0% pork 20% fat

That is the same that I would do for summer sausage given those cuts

Venison summer sausage I do 70% venison 20% 80-20 ground chuck 10% pork butt

If you are using beef I use the following for a 10# batch. 8# lean (90%) beef and 2# 80/20 ground pork shoulder. If the shoulder looks a bit lean, add a little pork fat. My ratio is much different if you are using venison or elk. Just err on the slightly high side of fat and you will be fine.

Lots of great recipes on this site and really good expertise. Good luck with whatever you try.

I use 50% + 50% lean ground beef and lean ground pork. I sell out every time I make 20 lbs.

I have not tried it, but I have "heard" that using straight pork also makes good sticks. Pork is a lot less expensive than beef also. One day I'm going to try it using some lean loin fresh ground.

I have not tried it, but I have "heard" that using straight pork also makes good sticks. Pork is a lot less expensive than beef also. One day I'm going to try it using some lean loin fresh ground.

I use pork butt often to make snack sticks with no beef or added fat,they come out great!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky