Smoking Thuringer Question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

haeffnkr

Fire Starter
Original poster
Feb 27, 2015
I am making the Rytek Kutas recipe of Thuringer. It says to smoke the sausage at 100F for 8-10 hours.
I am not sure if I can hold the temp at 100 for 8-10 hours in my barrel smoker. I can easily smoke it for that long with a pellet tube but I dont think hardly any heat will be generated.
Does the 100F temp do anything for the recipe?
Does it make the sausage bloom or give it the tang?

What if I cold smoked it then added some low 150 ish heat to get it up to internal temp?

thanks haeffnkr

Thuringer is a semi-dry sausage and the smoking step aids in drying the sausage. It should lose 12-17% during the smoking period.

I just looked in both the green and yellow Marianski books:

5.Introduce warm smoke (43*C, 110*F), 70% humidity, for 6 hours. Gradually increase smoke temperature until internal meat temperature of 140*F (60*C) is obtained.

I am making the Rytek Kutas recipe of Thuringer. It says to smoke the sausage at 100F for 8-10 hours.
I am not sure if I can hold the temp at 100 for 8-10 hours in my barrel smoker. I can easily smoke it for that long with a pellet tube but I dont think hardly any heat will be generated.
Does the 100F temp do anything for the recipe?
Does it make the sausage bloom or give it the tang?

What if I cold smoked it then added some low 150 ish heat to get it up to internal temp?

thanks haeffnkr

The 100* smoke temp is trying to introduce smoke at a none cooking temp to get that smoke set. That’s all fine but how long you do this is personal preference and may differ from my smoker to your smoker. 100* smoke for 5-6 hours then up the temp incrementally by 10* or so until IT is 150*.

Reactions: haeffnkr
I have no clue to help with sausage but maybe to get that 100° temp use a tin can with some airholes drilled around bottom with a 3-4 charcoal briquettes for low heat and use the tray for smoke?

Reactions: haeffnkr and DanMcG
I am stuffing this Saturday and Smoking it Sunday. I tried the snake method today and it was sort of successful. I think I need to make my snake smaller to start with and fatter at the end. It will be a challenge in my barrel smoker. I might cold smoke with pellets first then introduce some heat via the snake. Thanks for all the help so far!!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky