Smoking through NON-edible casings

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

kvn

Fire Starter
Original poster
Feb 20, 2021
I am trying to gather some info, I am going to make some home made salami/sausage and i would like to stuff it and smoke it in its non edible casing.

I am not sure if that will actually get smoke through the casing ?

I was planning on boiling the meat in the casing, then pulling out and putting it in the smoker,

Any ideas?

Fibrous and cellulose casings are smoke permeable as are some of the plastic casings for bologna. I'd smoke first, then either poach on the stove, or even better, use sous vide to finish.

Thanks for that heads up!!

I'm excited to try this !

I watched a ton of sausage making videos on youtube before I actually started doing it. Cajuneric Cajuneric has a channel called two guys and a cooler .... Lots of great info. Duncan Henry also has a lot of good videos. I still follow both of them.

Home Production of Quality Meats and Sausages by Stanley and Adam Marianski is an invaluable resource for the sausage maker. It can be bought as a paper copy as well as a kindle book from Amazon.

Also post any and all questions you have about the process or recipes you plan to try in the forum. There are a bunch of experienced sausage makers around here who are always happy to help.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky