Smoking ribs and Chicken

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

eppo

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Jan 17, 2011
Lindenhurst, NY
I plan to smoke ribs and chicken on sunday. the ribs have to be cooked at 225, the chicken 300.

whats the best way to cook both? start off at 225 for 2 hours with ribs and chicken, then bring it up to 300 for the chicken and finish off the ribs in the oven?

I'm sure there has to be a better way?

Ribs are going to take 5-6 hrs. (ballpark figure), now the real question is do you require crisp skin on the chicken or are you OK basically just not eating the skin? If you have to have crisp skin you will either need to wait till the ribs are done then hold the ribs in a warm oven wrapped in foil till the chicken is done - or smoke the chicken at 225 with the ribs for about 3 hrs. then have a hot grill on the side to toss the chicken onto for 10-15 minutes to crisp the skin up right at the end.

You don't want to rush the ribs with 300° degree heat at the end, they could loose their tenderness if you kick up the heat to soon.

Great excuse for a second smoker! Seriously, smoke both at 225, then crisp the chicken on a hot grill. The way I like chicken is, Smoke at 225, remove skin, pull meat off like PP. Fry some bacon in a pan until crispy, Chop bacon into small pieces and put aside. Take chicken skin & cut into small pieces and fry in bacon grease until crispy. Mix bacon & skin & toss with pulled chicken.

Great excuse for a second smoker! Seriously, smoke both at 225, then crisp the chicken on a hot grill. The way I like chicken is, Smoke at 225, remove skin, pull meat off like PP. Fry some bacon in a pan until crispy, Chop bacon into small pieces and put aside. Take chicken skin & cut into small pieces and fry in bacon grease until crispy. Mix bacon & skin & toss with pulled chicken.
If I followed your recipe, I'd need to put my cardiologist on speed dial.......but what a way to go.
drool.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky