Smoking Necessities

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

wy will

Original poster
Apr 2, 2014
I am brand new and have never smoked anything. I am trying to figure out what all I need to get started. I have ordered a MES40, AMNPS, multiple different pellets, a Maverick ET-733, and even a larding needle. What else will I need to be able to get started? I plan on doing wild game mostly (elk, deer, antelope, grouse, etc) and fish. I will also do ribs, roasts, and poultry.

Is there a section on here that has minimum smoking temps for uncured meats and also a minimum IT for various different cuts of meat?

Is there a section on here that let's us newbs understand all of these acronyms? I have figured out a few of them, but there are a lot more that I don't know. What is Q-View?

Will,

You're going to also need some wide, Heavy Duty Aluminum Foil.

Just type "Acronyms" in the search box at the top. This place has the best search engine I've ever seen.

As for temps, times, and other things, you're welcome to check my "Step by Step" Index (Below).

They're all done in an MES, and mostly in my MES 40:

Just click on "Bear's Step by Steps".

Bear

I am brand new and have never smoked anything. I am trying to figure out what all I need to get started. I have ordered a MES40, AMNPS, multiple different pellets, a Maverick ET-733, and even a larding needle. What else will I need to be able to get started? I plan on doing wild game mostly (elk, deer, antelope, grouse, etc) and fish. I will also do ribs, roasts, and poultry.

Is there a section on here that has minimum smoking temps for uncured meats and also a minimum IT for various different cuts of meat?

Is there a section on here that let's us newbs understand all of these acronyms? I have figured out a few of them, but there are a lot more that I don't know. What is Q-View?
Sounds like you're well on your way. I'd get yourself good foil & a variety of fresh herbs & spices to make rubs etc. if you don't have them already - I would also get some type of adult beverages to help you along as well 
icon14.gif

You can use the search bar to find out what temp you are looking for as it applies to the cut of meat you have - there are too many for me to list right here...

From the home page  http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/a/smf-acronyms-definitions

& finally Q-view is the name for the pics people post of their smokes & such.

Make sure you start a thread when you do your first smoke so we can give you a hand if you have any questions or something comes up 
beercheer.gif

Last edited:
Depending on the quantities of meat, you might look into a vacuum sealer for keeping meats for an extended period of time.    If you are talking about whole deer and elk, you might also look into a grinder for making your own sausage.

the guy asked for necessities to get started sealer and grinder arent needed 2 start smoking. Maybe after he gets going he want them but dont need them at all to get started.

the guy asked for necessities to get started sealer and grinder arent needed 2 start smoking. Maybe after he gets going he want them but dont need them at all to get started.
Nope they aren't needed to get started that's for sure - but they are very nice to have if you're going to smoke a lot of meat or get into sausage making. I would see how it goes & make sure you enjoy it before spending the money on a vac sealer & grinder - it won't take long to decide if you like it then you can add more equipment as needed/budget allows...

I already have a vac sealer. I haven't invested in a grinder or sausage stuffer yet, but I do plan to in the future. Thanks guys for the help!

I really like cooking, so I can see myself really enjoying this.

I just need to get some Cure #1 and maybe a good injector and I think I will be good to go for a while. I need to find somewhere that I can find some pork bellies so I can do some bacon.

I just need to get some Cure #1 and maybe a good injector and I think I will be good to go for a while. I need to find somewhere that I can find some pork bellies so I can do some bacon.
A good injector is handy to have around. I have a 4 oz. stainless steel one that works great & does anything I've ever needed it to do...

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky