Smoking long frozen meat.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Will Squared

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Jan 24, 2020
I am going through the freezer, throwing older meat out, and thought I would experiment.
I have a TT from 2016 and just don't have the heart to chuck it. Thought I would smoke it up and see if it is salvageable.
Conventional wisdom says 1 year in the freezer.
Has anyone else have any experience in this department?
Dry rub marinade overnight?
Jerk it?
Asking for group wisdom and experience here.

Will...

Reactions: kruizer
Yes it was sealed. I might end up tossing it but I just like to push the envelope to see.

It ain't gonna kill you man. Depending on freezer burn its gonna taste like crap. If the meat looks salvageable then cook it. Dont expect greatness out of something that's been frozen 4 years though

Reactions: Will Squared
Will I have cooked older stuff that has been buried in the freezer and it came out fine. Defrost it open it look at it and smell it if it all seems fine go for it

I'd look at it & Smell it, and more than likely cook it & eat it.
I've Smoked & cooked many an item that were vac packed in my freezer for 2 or even 3 years, or more.
When I buy my Prime Ribs "On Sale", I often plan on them being in my Freezer longer than one year, and up to 2 years.

I figure the meat can't tell the difference with being in my freezer for 6 months or 2 years, as long as I don't mention it & I don't have a calendar on the wall near my freezer.

Bear

I figure the meat can't tell the difference with being in my freezer for 6 months or 2 years, as long as I don't mention it & I don't have a calendar on the wall near my freezer.
That is funny Bear.
Don't let the meat see a calendar...

I often cook meat that has been in the freezer for over a year and remember doing a couple steaks that had been in the bottom of the freezer for over 5 years and they were good. On the other hand I have thrown out meat that was less than 6 months old that the seal didn't hold good on of course that was before I got a VacMaster sealer from Vacuum Sealers Unlimited

glad i stumbled across this post was working on defrosting some frozen freezerburned burgers i inherited. now not going to even try. going in garbage.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky