Smoking in the winter cold, wind, rain, and wind

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

whistlepig

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Dec 23, 2011
Preble County, OH
I kind of do this a lot. Doing it tomorrow. Midwest flat croplands here with high winds. A beef rib roast I bought on sale during the holidays that I am smoking tomorrow with 3-5" snow and windy. It's not that big a deal for me. No weld blankets. No wind shelter. I will have to adjust the temps on my smoker so it holds temps in the cold. I'll burn a bit more charcoal.

Or i could do the roast in an oven. I think I'll just do it in the smoker with some of Chef JJ's au jus.

Just have to keep an eye on the smoker. Don't forget the snowy pics either please!!! Makes a so far mild MN winter better for me. 😂

Last edited:
Heck yes, we appreciate the snowy, cold ass wind blowing smokes! Gotta work in it, just as well smoke in it!

Ryan

Good luck. The wind will probably be your biggest pain. I’ve been doing it here in Michigan’s UP all winter but like you said we have had a mild winter so far up here too..... makes me nervous haha

Real mild winter so far in northern New York.
Only a few below zero days so far, and much leas snow than normal.

Things could change. Still a long way to go.

Ill wait for early spring to restock my smoked cheese and bacon, temps between 32 and 40.

I took some pics of the roast at the start of the smoke. 225 degrees with the gravity hopper full of B & B Char-Logs and a 3" x 3" Cherry chunk every 5" in the gravity hopper. Roast rubbed with kosher salt and black pepper.

Preheating the smoker:

byYqbdq.jpg

Rubbed with Kosher salt and black pepper.

AME7Lkbl.jpg

Smoking veggies for Chef JJ's Au Jus:

td9ijDBl.jpg

Is anybody using an uninsulated electric smoker in the cold?
What do have? I have an MES and am amazed how well it does in the cold. Totally unexpected.

I LOVE long smoking sessions like cured turkey/hams/bacon in the winter and it makes look forward to colder weather.

I just bought an MES model MB20077618 . I'm looking into all kinds of mods for it on the forum here.

Welding blanket from Harbor Freight is the most common hack for that. This might sting a bit but can you possibly return it? I'd much rather have one of the digital models that's insulated. TONS on FB Marketplace cheap here and probably even cheaper now that TG is over. :emoji_laughing:

Welding blanket from Harbor Freight is the most common hack for that. This might sting a bit but can you possibly return it? I'd much rather have one of the digital models that's insulated. TONS on FB Marketplace cheap here and probably even cheaper now that TG is over. :emoji_laughing:

I probably could have but I modded it with additional vents. I did get it cheap tho.

Its currently sitting at 270 on full tilt in 40 degree weather with no wind shield.

The amaze pellet smoker it churning away pretty good too.

Reactions: zwiller
Nice! I'm trying to hot smoke a pork butt in 25-40 degree temps and wondering if I need insulation.

Shouldn't be an issue. I used to use my WSM in the winter months. It took a few more coals then normal, but it worked fine. Me on the other hand. I don't like running out to the smoker in the cold weather anymore. Getting old I guess.

Chris

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky