Smoking In My New 2

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Smokehouse Bob

Original poster
Jun 18, 2020
Central Florida
Hello all!
Received a new #2 for Father’s Day this week from our adult kids. Did a seasoning smoke for 3.5 hrs the day it arrived. Started a batch of chicken breasts and thighs a little earlier and she’s smoking away. Going to do a pork butt and some wings on Father’s Day which also happens to be our 40th wedding anniversary. So I want everything to turn out well. I’m new to electric smokers being an old school stick or propane guy, so if you have any tips or suggestions, please share.
I am puzzled by the operating instructions that say to use only 4-8 oz of wood.... is this true?
can I use chunks of dry wood or are chips better? What about soaking wood... is that recommended? I’ve never soaked wood before and since it IS electric, hopefully that is a “no”.
Anyway, I’m excited to have this model and I’m looking forward to learning it.

Great smoker, I have a #1 and a #3.
Hopefully you have a thermometer you can use to monitor meat temps. Just put the cable through the exhaust vent on top. The only meat I do by time is Baby Back ribs and Jerky. Everything else I wait until the final temp is reached.
The wood should remain dry, and chunks work fine. You get longer smoke times with chunks. Just make sure the lid on smoke box closes. If you use chips, you will probably need to make a foil boat to prevent combustion. I made some trays out of aluminum flashing and they work really well to keep wood from combusting. With the boats, I only get charcoal and no ash.
The best advice I got was to leave the door shut, no need to peak until you get to temp. For ribs, you will want to wait for 4.5 hours before checking. I also don't use any water pans. But I do brine or marinade most meats.
Good luck.

Reactions: Smokehouse Bob
congrats as a dad, and esp on the 40 years.
Won't be surprised if a few others get new toys this weekend too!

Enjoy the smoker. Unlike you stick burner, do not expect poultry skin to be crispy. You can place on a hot grill for a few minutes or in the oven/under a broiler. Unless you don't eat the skin for health reasons.

Great smoker, I have a #1 and a #3.
Hopefully you have a thermometer you can use to monitor meat temps. Just put the cable through the exhaust vent on top. The only meat I do by time is Baby Back ribs and Jerky. Everything else I wait until the final temp is reached.
The wood should remain dry, and chunks work fine. You get longer smoke times with chunks. Just make sure the lid on smoke box closes. If you use chips, you will probably need to make a foil boat to prevent combustion. I made some trays out of aluminum flashing and they work really well to keep wood from combusting. With the boats, I only get charcoal and no ash.
The best advice I got was to leave the door shut, no need to peak until you get to temp. For ribs, you will want to wait for 4.5 hours before checking. I also don't use any water pans. But I do brine or marinade most meats.
Good luck.
Great info.... thanks
I have multiple temp probes for the meat and for monitoring cooking box temp as well.
Sounds like I need to weigh my wood chunks since what I've been using in my previous smokers (propane fueled) may be too large.
Thanks again!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky