Smoking fresh sausage without cure, SAFE?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
OK, so if he added the right amount of cure would his procedure be alright. I add cure to mine and smoke until 155 F internal so that it is ready to eat hot or cold. He says he only wants smoke flavor and doesn't want it fully cooked.
Tell him he can always use "liquid smoke" if all he wants is the smoke flavor.
cool.gif

Thanks for your help bbally. So has he been getting away with this because the sausage is always cooked thoroughly (2 hrs at 350 in the oven) before being eaten.

Thanks for your help bbally. So has he been getting away with this because the sausage is always cooked thoroughly (2 hrs at 350 in the oven) before being eaten.
I wasn't going to bother on this thread, because I just saw it, and there are already a lot of "Big Guns" saying nobody should break the 40˚ to 140˚ in 4 hours rule, on sausage.

But in answer to this question, cooking it for 2 hours at 350˚, would be fine, if it was done in the first 4 hours to get it to over 140˚, but once he ruined it, it's too late. He has been getting away with it by "LUCK".

Bear

"I got a buddy who says..."

All of my BEST moron jokes start with that same phrase. ;)

... he never wears a seatbelt.

... he never wears a motorcycle helmet.

... he never wears a condom.

... he's never seen a dentist.

... he doesn't wash his hands.

... he drinks a 12-pack and still drives.

Preventative measures are JUST that. Preventative.

Some of these things, people are more passionate about than others. The passion comes from two things: Perception and Experience.  Those of us who have seen how FAST bacteria multiplies under ideal conditions (microscopically) are terrified of them. Those who HAVE dealt with the pain of food poisoning are often more careful in the future.

IMHO... if I am only affecting ME, I take more risks. I drive a little faster when I am alone. I eat my steak rare.

If I am affecting others, I owe it to them to take their care into consideration. My 2 year old son only gets meat cooked to safe temperatures. If he is in the car, I drive more responsibly.

I'm sure your buddy is a good guy, I just wouldn't eat his food.

Sidebar: bbally? You are my hero. I love your story above more than I have words for. xoxo  

(In my area, we call those "analogical perception altering story-tales"  Yours is really good.)

No. That's not how it works. Rotten food remains rotten.

See Bear's post above. You gotta hit bacteria killing temps FIRST.

If I cut you with a dirty knife and do nothing, you're going to get an infection.

If I cut you with a dirty knife, then clean your wound, you're LESS likely to get infected.

If I sterilize the knife, then cut you, and clean the wound, you'd call that surgery.  ;)

I don’t preach food safety to be a pain in the butt… it is very serious.
Thanks Bob, this is a great hobby but it tends to be dangerous if you don't know what you're doing, and any time anyone can reminde the less experienced, then we are all better off.

As Bear said, your friend got away with it by luck.

It needs to be taken beyond the danger zone during the smoke. Otherwise the bacteria develop toxins, and even though the bacteria are killed, the toxins remain.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky