Smoking Chuck Flats

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jcam222

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jun 13, 2017
Northeast Ohio
So about 2 months ago I wandered into GFS on my weekly trip (the good old days) and the manager stops me to chat. He knows I like to smoke meats and tells me he just marked down some big packs of beef that were ordered by mistake. I told him thanks but my freezer is pretty full so likely don't need any more meat. I go back and find 3 big packs of what is labeled as chuck flats. Marked down from something like $4.79 to $2.09 / lbs. so of course I bought all 3 that were left lol. Did a ton of googling and even a post here and seems these things are actually cut from or near the chuck rib plate and are typically called flats or flaps. Decided that it was time to give them a try this weekend.

Here they are out of the pack. I actually had thought it was one big solid piece of meat but was actually four smaller flaps.
raw.jpg

Here is a side shot of one, nice marbling , looks like they should be juicy.
side shot raw.jpg

Nothing fancy for these , I am counting on them being rich and beefy like beef short ribs. SPOG and into the frig over night. Next morning its time to get the 270 smoker going. Running with B&B Texas Oak lump and post oak chunks. I run a hotel pan full of Minors beef broth under the beef catching drippings and smokey goodness. I always defat that and use for au jus. Have many bags of it frozen in the fridge too.
smoker basket.jpg

I ran for about 4 hours at 275F until they were about 180F, pulled and wrapped in a pan with some of the beef stock added and let them go to about 203F, they were jiggly like jello when i check them so off to the cooler they went to rest for about 45 mintues. While they were going I decided to use up my last Daikon radish to make some fried Fauxtatoes and onions, Just fried onion in avocado oil and garlic, added the radish slices and fried them with some salt and pepper added. I fried them down nice and dark just like I used to do my taters.

fried radishes.jpg

Here is the meat out of the cooler and ready to slice. Very jiggly and probe tender. Bark is very tasty! Slices are much more tender and juicy than perhaps the picture shows.
meat done 2.jpg

sliced.jpg

My wife made a nice big batch of sugar free coleslaw. I love this coleslaw

• 16 oz. shredded cabbage
  • 1/4 cup onion
  • 1/3 cup Splenda (or Swerve)
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/8 tsp pepper
  • 1/2 tsp celery seed
  • 1/2 cup mayonnaise
  • 1/2 cup heavy cream
  • 1 1/2 tbsp white vinegar
  • 2 1/2 tbsp lemon juice
We bump the vinegar up a bit and lemon down some , sweetener to taste depending on which one we use. She usually makes this recipe x 6 or more, we love cole slaw lol.

Here it is plated up with the rest of the goodies and some au jus.
plated 1.jpg

That's it folks. The meat is super tender, very beefy and juicy. I will have to ration out the last 2 packs I have as I have never seen the cut available before. Thanks for looking!!

The results say it all. I have never heard of that cut either but it look good for smoking. Excellent meal. Nice job!

Reactions: jcam222
Fantastic looking meal.

We have a similar recipe for slaw sans the oinions.
Got to give the heavy whipping cream a try though.

You did that cut of beef some justice! Looks delicious and you got a great price on it.

Awesome job all around, I gotta try those radishes someday.

Like!

You did that cut of beef some justice! Looks delicious and you got a great price on it.

Awesome job all around, I gotta try those radishes someday.

Like!
Not gonna lie, fried like this it’s tasty but texture is off some from taters for sure. The Daikon works far better in the au gratin type dishes. I like em fried sometimes for a meal like this.

Mighty fine looking meal.
There is so many boutique names added to cuts from the front quarter it is hard to figure out what you're getting in the package.

I only used Daikon for making Do Chua until reading your posts.
Guess what goes in the garden this year?

Mighty fine looking meal.
There is so many boutique names added to cuts from the front quarter it is hard to figure out what you're getting in the package.

I only used Daikon for making Do Chua until reading your posts.
Guess what goes in the garden this year?
I need to plant them too!! Love using them as potato subs, love just munching it raw and I’m sure pickled is tasty

Jeff...as is typical, that is one beautiful plate. Just love what you did with the flaps. Those look amazing...but I'd go for a huge plate of that slaw also. Great job my friend on a truly stellar looking meal!!

Robert

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky