smoking Chicken and ribs

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

rhino55

Original poster
Dec 3, 2013
Hello

I'm new to this forum and new to the smoking world.  Just bought a new Masterbuilt electric smoker.  Yesterday I tried it out for the first time.  I smoked some Ribs and chicken quarters.  I put ribs in first and a hour later put chicken.  I had heat about 220, and put water in water bowl, and added wood chips. I cooked ribs for 4 hours and chicken for about 3 hours.  After checking meat I had to keep cooking for an additional hour at about 230 degrees.  After pulling meat out and eating it family it was real good.  I just felt I could have done better. I think meat could have used more cooking .  Meat didn't fall off the bones like I would have like it to.  Should have I used water or maybe cooked at a higher temp?  Any help will would be helpful.

Thank you

Rhino

Hi Rhino and welcome! Glad your first smoke was successful ! For ribs, check out the 3-2-1 or 2-2-1 method. Three hours is a good starting point for leg quarters. Maybe your next smoking investment should be a quality dual probe thermometer. It is money well spent as we normally cook to internal temp rather than by a certain time. Don't forget the q-view or you may see
th_What_NO_QVIEW.gif
. We love pics of good food!

Mike

Thank you for your help. Should I use water or no water?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky