Smoking brisket on 22" WSM

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Thanks for the input!

I will just need to work out how much fat to trim.

I think I will get point cut rather than flat aswell.

It's amazing how much the weather makes a difference. I had way more vents open this time, with similar internal temperature. It was a lot colder weather than I've cooked before.

Here is basically all you need to know about a brisket

I do about 90% of what he does but i trim the flat a little more than he does to make sure the thickness is consistent.

Also I dont worry at all about the "silver skin" on the meat side of the brisket cause I roll the whole time without wrapping and that stuff will just become bark or disappear as it melts away. Finally I season with Salt, Pepper, Onion, and Garlic vs just Salt and Pepper.

As for point only to me that is the best part and is hard to mess up since it has a great amount of fat. I always eat the point before the brisket and people in Texas that know their brisket generally do the same thing :)

When you say you do 90% of what he does.

Does that mean you trim more fat or less fat?

My joint of brisket had no fat at all!

When you say you do 90% of what he does.

Does that mean you trim more fat or less fat?

My joint of brisket had no fat at all!

I dont worry about the silver skin. I don't get anal about an exact 1/4 inch of fat. In other videos he trims a little bit more aerodynamically and in other videos he wraps his brisket in pink butcher paper which I don't wrap at all. I go SPOG vs SP.
Last thing is I trim quite a bit more of the flat muscle than he does in this video to avoid burning it up because I can't get away with as much as he can since he buy's the best quality brisket on the planet and i get what the store has hahaha.
I posted what I do here which will show u how I am about 90% off from what he does :)

I hope this clears up the differences between what he does and what I do :)

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky