Smoking Bacon

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

just learning

Original poster
Nov 6, 2006
Southern Oregon
I butcher my own pigs and would like to not have to rely on any one else to make bacon. It can't be that hard of a process. I'll take any advice I can get. Thanks.

The buckboard bacon recipe turned out to be reallllllllly good. We used the pork belly (traditional bacon) instead of the pork butts so we tweeked the recipe a little. We put the rub on and then we used our Food Saver to seal it so we wouldn't get goo everywhere (& also to make the bacon cure faster) & we only left it to brine for 5 days instead of the 10 the recipe calls for since the bellies part is so much thinner than the butts. We also tested the temp of the Lil' Chief smoker & it wouldn't get above 140 so we went down & bought a Masterbuilt. The bacon turned out wonderful. Thank y'all for the advice. We have also smoked the Babyback ribs and a Turkey since then & it all came out great. The digital temp control may be cheating a little for you pro's but it works for us new-bees.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky