Smoking a Rib Roast and Playing the Blues

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Great PR Steve! Looks perfect. Nice song as well. Is that an original? Very nice.

Not sure what I liked better, the tune, or the Prime Rib...... You nailed it!

I think rib roasts are one of the most forgiving pieces of meat to cook. They usually have a lot of marbling which keeps them juicy and tender. I guess you could mess it up by overcooking, but most people probably tend to undercook, if anything.

I've been real happy with the meat from my Dexters. They are one of the few breeds that can marble well on only grass, no grain.

BTW, Elizabeth Cotten was an interesting person. She was born in the 1890's, worked as domestic help as a child to save up and buy a Sears Roebuck guitar for $3.00 at the age of 13. She taught herself to play, left handed and upside down (the guitar). She was "discovered" 40 years later when she happened to be working in the household of Pete Seeger's half-brother Mike. She wrote this particular song as a young girl about a neighbor who was telling lies about her to her mother.

Steve

Reactions: MJB05615
I looked her up, couldn't resist yesterday, lol. Very interesting person and life. Thanks for the knowledge.

Anyone notice this?
When slicing the rib roast, I noticed that the newly sliced meat was mostly gray with slight pinkish hue, but within several seconds the surface would turn a much brighter red color. I believe exposure to air results in more of the oxygenated form of myoglobin, which is bright red, while deoxygenated myoglobin is dark red. So the color does not correlate directly with degree of doneness. However when overcooked, the myoglobin breaks down resulting in the brown color we associate with well done meat.

Steve

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky