Smoking a brisket for Christmas

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

meathead14

Original poster
Dec 16, 2014
Arizona
So I want to smoke a 15lb brisket for Christmas. My wife wants everything ready by 2 pm so I'm not sure when I need to start? I know it's got to rest for 2 hours so I'm gonna have to start early. I have an OK Joe's offset smoker.

Looking for any advice from the experienced professionals here?

What are your thoughts about starting it in the oven and finishing on the smoker??

Will your smoker get hot enough for the Hot & Fast recipes that on on this site? I'd say smoke it this weekend unless you want to stay up all night xmas eve. If you stay up, please tell Santa to stop by my place.

I have an OKJ Highland and the last two briskets I made were in the same size rang. Both took 14 plus hours to cook. I’m going to suggest that you plan an overnight cook or like suggested above go hot and fast. My next attempt is going to be hot and fast. You will pretty much need to open up those vents completely and really stack on the wood or charcoal. You might even need to crack open that firebox door depending on where you live. I’ve never tried to make a brisket for company. The alternative to consider would be to smoke it for 4 or 5 hours then transfer it to your oven to finish. The temp will be consistent and you will already have all the smoke flavor you need by then. Keep your temp probe monitoring box next to the bed if it isn’t done by the time you turn in. Shoot for something like 200 degrees for your alarm. I applaud your bravery for attempting this for Christmas. Good luck.

G

So I want to smoke a 15lb brisket for Christmas. My wife wants everything ready by 2 pm so I'm not sure when I need to start? I know it's got to rest for 2 hours so I'm gonna have to start early. I have an OK Joe's offset smoker.

What are your thoughts about starting it in the oven and finishing on the smoker??

I'm not a professional however if I were in your shoes, I would allow for 13 hours cooking time (using the wrap method) with plenty of time for rest. I would add in roughly 5 hours rest time to my overall calculations to allow for the brisket taking longer than 13 hours. So 18 hours total I would figure which means starting at 8pm the night before.

If you plan to use the oven, smoke first and then use the oven to finish. If you use the oven first, the brisket won't take on smoke in the final bit of cooking.

Reactions: chopsaw
Read about hot& fast method but I'm not sure the difference in what's referred to as a full packer and a flat? Mine is 15lbs I got from Walmart I would consider it a flat but not sure?

16 hrs at 225 degrees

Read about hot& fast method but I'm not sure the difference in what's referred to as a full packer and a flat? Mine is 15lbs I got from Walmart I would consider it a flat but not sure?

I'd say at 15lbs it's a full packer, because I have never seen a flat that large. A full packer essentially means that it is the flat and point together.

Reactions: jmtyndall
I think you would be better off starting it off in the smoker and finishing it in the oven. You aren't going to get any smoke penetration after a certain point.

Timing it going to depend what temp you are smoking at. I would start it 3-4pm Christmas eve at 225 and then once you go to wrap you can transfer it to the oven wrapped in butcher paper and let it ride from there. Once its done toss it in a cooler wrapped in a couple old towels and you should be good to go. Will give you plenty of time to cook and rest.

First I would probably go with Vols suggestion. If not I will tell you what I just did with a 14lb brisket. Smoked it Sunday running a little hotter than normal avg 270. Finished 10 hrs probed tender 205 on flat 198 on point. Left on table wrapped to cool down 2 hours. Fridge until Tuesday. Took to work where we have an oven panned and foil cover 220 1.5 hours or so. Pleanty hot enough and gone in no time. Moist and flavorful. Only draw back was no bark.

Reactions: meathead14
So I was informed this evening that we are now doing dinner on Christmas Eve... wondering if it would be possible to smoke the brisket this weekend and finish it in the oven on Christmas Eve?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky