• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Smoking a brisket flat at high heat

jeremymillrood

Smoke Blower
Joined Dec 22, 2009
I don't do brisket flats alone BUT I do chuck roast (when its cheaper than brisket) and our cuts are often big and long just like a brisket flat without the top layer of fat.

I firmly believe that the magic comes in wrapping the chuck (flat in your case) in foil while splashing some liquid in with it (I use left over wine or some beer) at a meat IT of about 185-190F.

This allows the brisket to get good flavor, color, and some bark while coming out tender and not dry! Brisket flats and chucks will wanna dry out on you being so flat and not full of fat.

Again I think that is the magic needed to get what you are wanting without it turning into pot roast or going some other unintended direction.
I smoke in my MES at 275F so I think you may be able to go any temp you want as long as you understand the fundamental issue of that cut of meat just wanting to dry out on you, hence the splash and wrap at 185-190F.

I hope this info helps and I look forward to seeing what you make :)
Appreciaate the additional info tallbm tallbm ..Picked up an 8.3 lb flat today that had a nice amount of marbling in it..The plan is to smoke it on Friday..I'll post up my results..stay tuned.

jeremymillrood

Smoke Blower
Joined Dec 22, 2009
Let the fun begin..To recap, I'm attempting to high heat smoke and 8.3 lb flat that I purchased from BJ's..It's a choice cut, so not the best, but it was all I could find..

Trimmed up and applied the rub...I used a mixture of kosher salt, coarse peppercorn, and some celery seed..saw this recommended by Harry Soo, and I wanted to keep it simple so this seemed ideal..

1601047754610.png

1601047798889.png

Filled up the chamber with Kingsford and my wood..several chunks of hickory and apple..I fired it up with another full chimney..
1601048010376.png

The brisket is on, trying to keep the temp over 325..It's about 275 right now, but I'll check in an hour and expect those temps will jump as the meat starts to heat up and the rest of the coals ignite..stay tuned.

Last edited:

jeremymillrood

Smoke Blower
Joined Dec 22, 2009
Foiled for about an hour and a half..temp came up to 190 pretty quickly, so I pulled and let it rest in the foil for about an hour..

and here it is..

1601069770440.png

Ready to cut..

1601069791202.png

It came out amazing, good smoke penetration, not too overpowering, the meat is tender, juicy, and the rub was perfect..I'll definitely be doing this again..From start to finish I had about 5 hours on this flat for a high heat cook

1601069888991.png

1601071144334.png

1601069910491.png

Last edited:

Millberry

Smoke Blower
SMF Premier Member
Joined Nov 12, 2020
Well-guess it is not to old to comment on....I am going to copy this one....Thanks

jeremymillrood

Smoke Blower
Joined Dec 22, 2009
Well-guess it is not to old to comment on....I am going to copy this one....Thanks
definitely not..this was my first brisket in several years, first time doing high heat and fast cook, I couldn't believe the results..I'll never do a brisket any other way..For the next one, I will make a change to using the pink butcher paper instead of the foil. I've read that makes a difference in the bark..

Millberry

Smoke Blower
SMF Premier Member
Joined Nov 12, 2020
definitely not..this was my first brisket in several years, first time doing high heat and fast cook, I couldn't believe the results..I'll never do a brisket any other way..For the next one, I will make a change to using the pink butcher paper instead of the foil. I've read that makes a difference in the bark..
Thank you. I have some pink butcher wrap--will use it then. You and Chasdev believe in high heat so I'm gonna give it a try....

jeremymillrood

Smoke Blower
Joined Dec 22, 2009
Thank you. I have some pink butcher wrap--will use it then. You and Chasdev believe in high heat so I'm gonna give it a try....
well I am far from an expert, but you can't argue with the results..the proof is in the pudding, or the brisket in this case.

Millberry

Smoke Blower
SMF Premier Member
Joined Nov 12, 2020
I notice your square drip pan on your lower grate of the WSM--underneath your brisket. Must not hurt a thing? Did you put any water in your pan? Do you use pink butcher paper nowadays? Thank u

Last edited:

jeremymillrood

Smoke Blower
Joined Dec 22, 2009
I notice your square drip pan on your lower grate of the WSM--underneath your brisket. Must not hurt a thing? Did you put any water in your pan? Do you use pink butcher paper nowadays? Thank u
Good eye. completely forgot that I had that down there. The method I used calls for double wrapping the water pan with heavy duty foil. First layer close to pan, followed by a second suspended an inch or two above to catch and keep the drippings from burning..I used the drip pan as an additional precaution.

For the high heat fast cook method no water is used in the pan..that would hold temps down which in this case is the last thing we want.

Millberry

Smoke Blower
SMF Premier Member
Joined Nov 12, 2020
Thanks--will let you know how mine turns out--especially when my WSM hasn't been broken in yet. I can't believe the amount of wood you use--laying right on top too. PLUS--That is one pretty lttle girl in your picture....

Last edited:

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.