Smokin-It 2D probe question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

dwette

Original poster
Jun 2, 2022
I just got a Smokin-It #2D (I’m a newbie) and am a bit confused by the two probes. One is called “P2 for Internal Food Probe” and the other “P3 for Temperature Probe”. I’m told the P2 of course is the one you stick in meat, and tells you when it’s done according to temperature. The P3 is for the box temperature, and I’m told it’s the one that tells your PID whether it needs to add heat. At first I thought it was another meat probe (they look exactly the same).

So my question is if you don’t stick the P3 into meat, where do you specifically place it? I understand it would be fed through the top vent hole like the P2 is, but do you just let it hang right inside below the vent or drop it down further, or what. What’s the optimal/correct placement? The documentation is pretty lacking on such details about P2 vs P3 (except for the programming part).

Never mind....I received an answer from Stephen Lamier at Smoking-It. this is what he had to say....

Your smoker already has an fixed internal air temperature probe mounted inside the smoker box. So the two plug in meat probes are used only to record internal meat temperatures.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky