smoker type

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smokingupnm

Original poster
Dec 29, 2006
Gallup, NM
Thanks for the welcome to this forum. I have never done anything like this befor, so bare with me.
I had a question as to what type of smoker i use. I use a homemade horizontal with a offset firebox. It was constructed out of a piece of 24" pipe. The smoker itself is 48" long. The firebox is 24" long. The thikness of the pipe is 7/16". the problem that i am having is everything that i cook turns out really black and looks like it is burnt. The smoker itself seems to work really well, I have very little problem controling the temp, but stuff just turns black. Any help would be great.

If you are smoking between 220° and 250° and you are checking internal temperatures and getting correct readings, I can only assume you have alot of smoke rolling and are coating your meat with creosote from the smoke…correct me if I am wrong! We are here to help each other
wink.gif

I agree with up in smoke. What size of smoke stack do you have and where is it located. What type of wood are you using. green or seasoned. Can you show some pics of the smoker

are you getting a funny taste? or does it just look black. have you tried moving the meat to the far end of the smoking chamber, the area closest to the fire box it the hottest, but i am sure you knew that. by moving it to the far side you may get rid of that blackness.

it could be the rub your using also, if you are using a lot of dark spices when they cook they will get darker and may turn or apear to turn black.

just a fools thoughts.

Refined sugar in your rub will also burn and give your food that black look. Try switching to turbinated sugar such as "Sugar in the Raw". It takes smoking heat well and doesn't burn as readily as refined sugars.

I too am interested in what size your exhaust stack is.

Even if the wood is seasoned, you can still have a creosote problem. It's best to pre-burn your wood or at least preheat heat. I get my fire going good and let it burn down to nice red coals before any food hits the grates. Then I put my splits ON the fire box to heat them up before going INTO the fire box. If I have a lot of time, I pre-burn all my wood. The pre-burn barrel works great for this.

The smoke stack is 4" and is located at the top of the chamber, but I have a piece of 6" channel located inside the chamber because I realized that the stack needed to be in the middle. I use seasoned hickory. That is all of the wood that I am able to find so far, and I get that from Oklahoma.

Thanks for all of the great ideas!
Bill

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky