Smoker temp test

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BrianGSDTexoma

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Aug 1, 2018
North Texas, Texoma
After all the temp problems I have had with this 40 doing a dry run. Took chip tray out for mailbox mod. Wrapped water pan in foil. Put one probe next to smoker probe and one in middle of grate on same level, one middle top grate and middle bottom grate.. Set to 250. Probe next to smoker probe is 245. All others are about 220. I thinking about putting a fan inside. Looked where others have done it and said more even cooking. Just need drill hole through cabinet.

Rather than cutting a hole in the box this is what I dixd. It is a 12 v computer fan powered by a variable voltage controller.

DSCN3250 (3).JPG
DSCN3251 (3).JPG
DSCN3252 (3).JPG
DSCN3254 (3).JPG

Nice. I using the mailbox mod and might make pellets burn to fast? To bad they did not make this in 3". Only $13

b00cqbfots.jpg

Last edited:
The temp seems to be higher on the back wall where the probe is. Wish I could make it stick out a couple more inches. I am thinking about putting something like an empty tomato paste can around the probe to deflect heat to see if can get the rest of the smoker up to temp.

Masterbuilt is sending me new circuit board kit. I think the problem more to do with the way heat is traveling. Temp is about right next to the probe but all three top racks way low in middle. About time to just put WSM back in full use. Been using them for a lot of years!

Masterbuilt is sending me new circuit board kit. I think the problem more to do with the way heat is traveling. Temp is about right next to the probe but all three top racks way low in middle. About time to just put WSM back in full use. Been using them for a lot of years!

I agree---If your probe right next to the MES sensor is only 5° from what the MES sensor is reading, it has to be air flow.

I don't know what the new circuit board kit can do about air flow throughout.

Bear

So got a 12 x 12 and 3 x 12 tile and placed top right. Doing great! 2, 3 and 4th grate staying around 250 set at 250. Above top tile 230.
. 20190328_143524.jpg 20190328_152643.jpg

i went through this with my propane smoker and just gave up because as soon as i put any food into the smoker each temperature probe would all read something different. whatever consistency i could get with an empty smoker didn't apply once i put food inside. now i only care about the grate temperature where my food is located. your smoker may be different, but that was my experience with my propane smoker. i'd be interested to know if you can maintain your even temperature while cooking.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky