Featured Smoker problems

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

RJR 092581

Original poster
Jan 12, 2021
Hello all. I'm new to this forum, but enjoy smoking meats. I just built a new smoker, but am having some issues with it. I'm using a small wood stove, with black pipe. I'm getting way to much smoke in the box, and not enough heat, for cooking heat /smoke. Also, when u shut the door on the stove, the fire goes out. Kinda suffocate itself. I want to be able to cold smoke, like bacon and ham, but also cook smoke, like summer sausage, smoked sausage, etc... Any help is appreciated
Also, it's built framed with non treated pine 2x4s,and 1" thick cherry lumber from my woods.
20210110_152751.jpg
20210110_163551.jpg
20210110_172958.jpg
20210110_173007.jpg
20210110_152751.jpg
20210110_163551.jpg
20210110_172958.jpg
20210110_173007.jpg

Yea round one on the door. I did install a damper in the pipe, to control heat, and it's fully open

Sounds like you need more air. Keep the stove door cracked for now. That should be a temporary fix. daveomak daveomak can probably help you further. He's an expert. You may need a bigger exhaust

Try removing the horizontal stovepipe and go directly from the wood stove into the cook chamber. Be careful this might get to hot. I’m not sure how hot you really want a wooden cook chamber/smokehouse to get. Especially one beside your house or shed.

You will need a bigger chimney to create a better draft/draw for sure if you leave the set up as it currently sits. I think I would move it away from the structure before doing anything else.

Last edited:
Yep, you may need to go bigger on the exit vent. The inlet looks to also be a 4" flue pipe. Remember that the air expands as it heats up, so you need a larger dia. exhaust than you do the inlet. If the hot air can't escape, then you get smoke build up, and the fire suffocates for lack of air flow.

Also, might try shortening the horizontal pipe...

The exhaust needs to travel up hill from the stove. You have to create draw/draft and that is tough to do with a level exhaust. Run it up hill.

I agree with most here. It's an awesome looking smoker. I hope being made of wood doesn't shorten it's life, but I bet after a few good uses it'll smell pretty rustic.

1. Move the smoker away from the structure.
2. Open up the exhaust. You want a 4:1 ratio of Area due to the expansion of gas.
3. Hot air rises and creates a chimney effect. The chimney effect is once hot air rises, it creates a vacuum behind it and literally sucks more hot air in behind it creating a flow of air. This is why chimneys on smokers are better than just a hole, it needs a structure to create the vacuum. Your chimney needs to be your flue from the stove and more vertical to create it.
4. Move the stove closer to the chamber for hot smoking. The setup you have is more suited for cold smoking; having the heat source far away from the chamber means by the time the smoke gets to the chamber is has cooled sufficiently. Too long of a run, and there is no chimney effect and no heat in the chamber.

I would go with an electric element and an AMNPS smoke generator...

You can get 6-10 hours of smoke plus a heat source that needs no tending....
I convert my pellets to dust... I like the smoke better.....

The Mailbox and flex duct allow for creosote to condense and improve the flavor of the smoke on any meat....

Pellet Dust 3.JPG

LEGS 3.jpg

Creosote build up....

MB Mob Creosote buildup 002.JPG

Mailbox mod hooked up.jpg

mailbox int..jpg mailbox ext..jpg

Try removing the horizontal stovepipe and go directly from the wood stove into the cook chamber. Be careful this might get to hot. I’m not sure how hot you really want a wooden cook chamber/smokehouse to get. Especially one beside your house or shed.

You will need a bigger chimney to create a better draft/draw for sure if you leave the set up as it currently sits. I think I would move it away from the structure before doing anything else.

I plan on only getting to around 200-220 deg.. As long as i can get the sausage to internal temp of 160-165deg..

Yep, you may need to go bigger on the exit vent. The inlet looks to also be a 4" flue pipe. Remember that the air expands as it heats up, so you need a larger dia. exhaust than you do the inlet. If the hot air can't escape, then you get smoke build up, and the fire suffocates for lack of air flow.

Also, might try shortening the horizontal pipe...
Inlet pipe is 6-in black So,should i go with a 8in out the top? include a damper on it?? Has anyone ever used or thought about a barometric damper?? Is this a possible thing to use in my situation? Just curious..

Inlet pipe is 6-in black So,should i go with a 8in out the top? include a damper on it?? Has anyone ever used or thought about a barometric damper?? Is this a possible thing to use in my situation? Just curious..
creosote build up may be a problem with that damper. I would do 8 inch on the outlet. Can always make it smaller easy.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky