Smoker/Grill area layout

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Thanks, yes the concrete patio runs almost 3/4 of the back of the house, but is uncovered. I think I will leave grills/smokers to be mobile and do what you do, move them out when weather is good, undercover when raining or snowing.
Yup . I have a cart with 2 levels that's on wheels . I just move it with my grills . I have water proof storage out there and quality covers for the grills .
Sounds like you'll have a nice set up .

I highly recommend budgeting for a roof on it. 4'-wide corrugated steel panels, in 6 or 8' lengths, are readily available and very cheap. And very light...the structure you need for them is dominated by wind loading in your area, not static load. Plus it will give this cooking space a more rustic look and helps set this off from the rest of your more formal living space. I can understand why you want to keep your gear on wheels, but I'd still recommend a permanent work/shelf area with openings for each cooker. From the inside it won't look very "integrated" but with a continuous wall on the outside, it will make your space look intentional and planned. And that wall can be constructed economically by...wait for it...corrugated steel panels.

I highly recommend budgeting for a roof on it. 4'-wide corrugated steel panels, in 6 or 8' lengths, are readily available and very cheap. And very light...the structure you need for them is dominated by wind loading in your area, not static load. Plus it will give this cooking space a more rustic look and helps set this off from the rest of your more formal living space. I can understand why you want to keep your gear on wheels, but I'd still recommend a permanent work/shelf area with openings for each cooker. From the inside it won't look very "integrated" but with a continuous wall on the outside, it will make your space look intentional and planned. And that wall can be constructed economically by...wait for it...corrugated steel panels.
Something else to add to this, if the workspace wall is placed correctly, it can act as a wind break. I am planning to add such a wall to increase the days I can run a smoker. The winds in the foothills of Colorado can challenge holding temperatures. I want something that provides more counter space, maybe bar height. Best of luck with your project.

I don't recommend a full-height wall out of corrugated steel, just a "wall" from floor to counter height. And you can have a narrow counter at bar height for guests on the outside while your inside (wide) counter is at work height. That'll be 8-12" lower so hides your mess from view as well.
I always welcome the breeze but if you have too much of a good thing I can envision some shutters or flip-out or -up arrangement of panels that could wall things off a bit when needed.
But I'm assuming this is a work area (working kitchen) for us. The area for eating and relaxing is a separate space. I think you want a different vibe there.

Here’s how I have mine set up. But running length about 16 ft.
I have 3 duplex receptacles and a gas line I can feed the Vidalia and Blackstone (not in this pic), possibly an Ooni down the road. Also musing over adding a pellet pooper, and undecided which must go.
798DE0FA-026E-4E39-9FA6-D3647E803C12.jpeg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky