smoker build formulas

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

gadgetguy

Original poster
Feb 27, 2010
michigan
as i have been looking around here a bit i see there is a science to building a smoker of your own. my question is is there a book on this or does someone here have a formula i can use to build my own .  as in fire box size vs. chamber size vs. stack dia. and length?

i am a fabricator and would like to build my own for my next smoker

Thanks

HarryC

Here is the link to the pit calculator

http://webpages.charter.net/tomchism/BBQ CALC Forms/BBQ Smoker Calculators.htm

Here is one for volume

http://www.dep.state.pa.us/dep/deputate/waterops/redesign/calculators/volcalchtm.htm

This is one that I used after sitting here with my son trying to figure out the math the old way. This was a much faster option.

http://www.1728.com/circsect.htm

This is a thread that Matt put togather, there is an hour or two of reading. I think he has a link with all the pics he has posted. It should give you many ideas to think about and incorporate into your build.

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/forum/thread/95411/custom-smoker-builds-pics-of-all-of-them

Good Luck and please keep us up to date on your build.

I'm in the process of building a smoker as well, and have noticed varying locations for the exhaust  vent. is there a location that is better?( top, side, part way down the side or lower in the smoke chamber?)

Thanks

I'm in the process of building a smoker as well, and have noticed varying locations for the exhaust  vent. is there a location that is better?( top, side, part way down the side or lower in the smoke chamber?)

Thanks
The exhaust is another wide variety of options.  It all depends on the type of smoker you are building.  Starting off with store bought smokers like the Chargriller with side fire box (SFB), the exhaust is out the top with a little bit coming in.  One of the first mods for that is to extend the pipe down to grate level.  This does a couple things, it helps hold the heat in and it also draws the smoke movement down to the grate level.  That is pretty much the reason for customs to have the exhaust to coming out the side also.  If you exhaust it right out the top, then your valuable heat will just rush right out the top which burns a lot of fuel and makes it harder to control your temps.

Ok, That answers most of my question , I am building a vertical smoker with a lower side firebox. Basically 2 tanks, 1 large, 1 small welded in an upside down T fashion( wanted to keep a smaller footprint). Should the outlet pipe start at the top rack, or extend down to the bottom rack? I will be building it with at least 2 racks, probably 3 to give me options on size and placement of meat.

Matt, looking at your pics, you have your vent coming from the bottom grate area. That is the best spot?
That seems to be the general location on most builds any more.  The reason is the same as I described above.  Keeps more heat in the chamber and draws the smoke low across the main cooking surface.

OK, Thanks. I am currently rethinking the vertical layout, and am leaning towards the standard horizontal layout. giving up the smaller footprint for a larger cooking surface.

To any Mod that reads this... Can Tom37's post or something like it be a sticky? Great stuff Tom. I've had this same question before Gadgetguy but haven't asked it or searched for it yet. So, you saved me some time by bringing it up. Thanks. Plus, I'm sure it will come up again and again for others. Very sticky worthy IMO.  

I have never really looked into the benefit of having one.  I assume its just another way to tune your smoker that day.  Hopefully someone that has installed one will tell us what the benefit of having one is.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky