Smoked Trout

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BrianGSDTexoma

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Aug 1, 2018
North Texas, Texoma
I picked up some rainbow trout half off today. Need get going today. What a good brine for these? Should I add cure? I am guess the MES with mailbox be the best bet to smoke?

20201024_085558.jpg

Here’s one that we like. It’s a Canadian recipe so the Whiskey we used is a Rye Whiskey. We aren’t fans of the Lox texture so I smoked it till it flaked with a fork. I used table salt since I didn’t have Kosher salt, first impression was a tad too salty, I’m betting had I used course Kosher salt the salt taste would be good. I smoked with Alder dust in an Amazen oval tube in my MES mailbox for 6 hours. My impression was it needed more smoke, my wife thought it was perfect as far as smoke flavour. Salmon went in the smoker for 3 hours at 120F then 3 hours at 160F, pulling the smaller pieces sooner. I used Salmon filets, skin on, you have Trout so maybe less brine time since your filets will be thinner. Another note, I didn’t do a fry test before smoking, had I done one I could have rinsed/soaked the fish to reduced the salt content.

I ended up using this. Going to soak for 4 hours then dry overnight. Just gotta figure out how to smoke tomorrow.

2 rainbow trout fillets boned
8 cups water
1/3 cup coarse kosher salt
1/2 cup Truvia Brown Sugar Blend
2 tbsp soy sauce
1 tbsp sriracha sauce
4 garlic cloves , minced
1 tbsp fresh ground black pepper
1 tbsp paprika
1 tsp thyme

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky