Smoked Sirloin Tip In Arctic Cold

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

disco

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Oct 31, 2012
Canadian Rockies
There was a sale on Sirloin Tip Roasts at the supermarket. It is not exactly the tenderest cut of beef but if slow cooked to no more than medium, is quite tasty. By the way, here is an example of survival. I like my beef cooked to medium rare. She Who Must Be Obeyed likes medium. A smart husband cooks to medium to survive.

Although the beef was on sale, it has been a little chilly here in the Canadian Rockies.

I started by putting the roast in the fridge, uncovered, overnight, to dry the surface of the beef. A dry surface takes smoke better. Then, I gave it a generous sprinkle of Cabela’s Open Season Whiskey Steak Seasoning and put it back in the fridge for a couple of hours.

I turned my Bradley smoker as high as it would go but the highest temperature it would reach in this cold was about 230 F. I smoked it over pecan smoke. After about 2 hours the internal temperature was 125 F.

Cooking this slow does not brown the meat and I like a little browning on my beef. Many people think that you have to sear your beef to keep it moist. This has been proven wrong many times. However, I do find that some searing or browning does improve eye appeal and flavour. So, I cooked the beef most of the way in the smoker (to 125 F internal temperature) and then put it on my Weber Barbecue with the front an back grill on high and the middle grill turned off. I put the beef over the middle grill (not over direct heat). After about 15 minutes, the internal temperature was 143 F.

I covered it with foil, brought it inside and let it sit for 10 minutes. Then it was time to slice into a great piece of smoked beef.

I served it with crispy skin grilled new potatoes and mixed vegetables.

The Verdict

This is a great way to take a moderately tough piece of beef and make it a real treat. The pecan smoke gives a nice smoke flavour but doesn’t overpower the beef. The Cabela’s Open Season Whiskey Steak Seasonings give a nice sweet/garlic flavour. I was in cow heaven.

Disco

By the way, here is an example of survival. I like my beef cooked to medium rare. She Who Must Be Obeyed likes medium. A smart husband cooks to medium to survive.
As someone who's happily single, why not just cut the Tip into 2 portions and cook one to medium and the other to mid rare ?  :)

Nice job cooking that one! I agree with what you said about the toughness but really good sirloin flavor. Good sandwiches for tomorrow.

That's the key, the last few minutes on the grill.  MMMMMMMMMMMMmmmmmmmmmm!  Very nicely done
Thanks, urbotrimm, it wasn't too hard to take for a winter dinner.

As someone who's happily single, why not just cut the Tip into 2 portions and cook one to medium and the other to mid rare ?  :)
Thanks for the thought Demos, but I find it easier to just do what I'm told.

Nice job cooking that one! I agree with what you said about the toughness but really good sirloin flavor. Good sandwiches for tomorrow.
Thanks, Todd. I am getting addicted to pecan for beef. It really added to the good sirloin flavour.

Disco

I laughed when I read this! The only thing I could possibly add to this quote would be "Me too"
Well, when you look like I do, you get used to laughter.
Wow Disco, that looks great.
Thanks, C. Believe it or not, it was my first try of beef roast on the smoker. It won't be my last.

Disco

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky