Smoked salt

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

maineman

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jan 3, 2017
Has anyone ever smoked sea salt? Do you smoke it after it’s been dried and becomes salt? What wood, temp, etc…. I bought some a while back and really enjoyed it but thought I could maybe do it myself. Thanks and merry xmas

Yup

Cold smoke the salt in a large coffee filter. The wood is your choice, I like hickory and apple.

Reactions: tallbm
Won't be long and you'll be doing a Bronx cheer of your own !

Has anyone ever smoked sea salt? Do you smoke it after it’s been dried and becomes salt? What wood, temp, etc…. I bought some a while back and really enjoyed it but thought I could maybe do it myself. Thanks and merry xmas
Maineman , put "smoking salt " in the search box and a recent post about smoking salt should come up with a couple ideas

Again with someone else's name or quote, don't know what is going on, but my apologies again, this time to chopsaw!

Ok, thanks all. I assume a coffee filter so the smoke can get to the salt? Should I stir it while smoking? How long to leave it in?

I’ll do a search, I was just being a bit lazy and thought id ask😁

I cold smoke salt, using a splatter guard. Stir every so often until the color is consistent. Use your favorite wood.

Chris

I just done some flake, sea, and kosher salt. Tossed a pan of course pepper on to. The flake I was able to use fine sieve pans I have. Rest I put on shallow foil pans. Ran on smoke for 8 hours (180) with smoke tubes. I sprayed it with bourbon to help smoke stick and I sprayed one Pan of the flake with Mezcal. Aired it out couple days then in zip lock bags.

Yes smoke it with your favorite wood...depending on how much smokiness you like. I usually do it when I cold smoke cheese in cold weather...I go with apple pellets for 4 hours on the cheese, stir salt and anything else about each hour. Also smoke paprika at the same time, and mixed nuts.

Ryan

Reactions: bauchjw
Or use a small flour sifter. I've used a regular bowl before. You just have to stir it more often is all. Another good one is smoking whole pepper kernels. Then grind just before using.

Reactions: mike243
Get yourself a cocktail smoker. Instead of a cocktail put salt in the glass. Once you got smoke in the glass shake the glass around to get all the salt exposed. Only takes a few minutes and the smoke is heavy enough the salt really absorbs it. I have done lots of things this way. Salt, crushed dehydrated garden peppers, pepper both cracked and whole. You usually get several kinds of wood chips with the smoker kit and a butane chef's torch. It only takes a pinch or two of wood chips to get a lot of smoke. This is a pic of mine smoking a cocktail but you get the idea. However if you want to do large quantaties this may not be the way to go. But I do this with the amount of salt I need every time I want to dry brine something.
Plus you get to smoke your cocktails!

IMG-1297-1.jpg

Reactions: tbern
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky