Smoked ribs honey-based glaze?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Bachans has a sticky asian ribs recipe on their site I think.. You culd just ad some honey to it
I heard about their "barbecue" sauce and tried it - its the best commercial teriyaki sauce I ever tasted. A Japanese girl I knew in Seattle many many moons ago (her father owned some popular Asian restaurant in Seattle's International District) taught me how to make teriyaki sauce at home and Bachan's is right there. I have the regular and the spicy.

I'll have to try their Asian sticky ribs recipe - but the glaze I remember was not soy-sauce based. It was definately honey and something citrus-eee...

Last edited:
Reactions: negolien
My sister swears it is Saucy Susan: "mixed with honey, dummy."

So, I mixed a little bit of honey with a little bit of Saucy Susan - tastes pretty good actually... I have some ribs cooking so I will glaze them with the mixture and see what the smoke does to the glaze.

Ok so I followed cooking instructions from Aaron Franklin - 2-hours smoke, about 2-hours in foil and then the bend test - I guess I do not like ribs cooked in foil. Just had that boiled meat quality. I would rather just smoke them for 6 hours or so like I always have.

I tried Aaron's same instructions a few weeks ago and per his instructions I added sauce when I wrapped the ribs in foil and the sauce burned. I did not add sauce this time...

They were super tender and I really had to be careful slicing or they would fall apart - but that boiled meat quality is not for me.

As for the glaze - it was good, but not what I remember - I do not think peach apricot goes good with smoke. I will have to keep scouring the web to see if anything rings a bell - I'm disappointed and my sister is clearly, misremembering.

But, the neighbors thought they were the best ribs they ever tasted - from one that "does not even like ribs" and is not a fan of "peach apricot" (Saucy Susan is based on). Go figure.

At least they weren't wasted.

No more foil ribs for me.

Last edited:
Reactions: negolien
Back at the beginning of this thread I mentioned a "citrus" taste. I mixed up a few batches of this and that but I just never thought of pineapple. Also, it was so long ago that I am relying on faded memories so there's that too.

I remember the Saucy Susan from back in the olden days as well, and while that stuff is just killer on some Chicken Express fried chicken with some ghost pepper hot sauce, its not the taste I think I remember on the ribs.

I watched a Kosmo's YouTube on his glazes and the taste-tester picked out the Pineapple Heat as the best, so I am going to try that and see if it is in the taste neighborhood - the only difference being the ribs I am remembering did not have a heat profile - they were just good.

Last edited:
Watched an interesting YouTube by a guy named Jeremy Yoder / Mad Scientist BBQ on how to smoke ribs and I am going to try his technique (4-hours smoke at 225 and about 30-minutes +/- wrapped and cooked at 275).

Don't get me wrong - I am well satisfied with my 6-7 hour unwrapped technique - but his ribs looked pretty good so I'm willing to take shot if it gets me OUT of the Godforsaken heat here in h-e-double-ell, sooner...

Last edited:
Reactions: 912smoker
Maybe I missed something - where are you purchasing ribs that have feet? :emoji_astonished:

That's Southern talk. :) Lady that told me that said when you wrap them be sure the small ends of the rib bones have liquid over them. Supposedly the moisture travels up the marrow and keeps them moist. Been using that trick ever since. Works even better with a little bourbon in the mixture. She died recently but I've never forgotten the lesson. She and her family had bbq championship trophys and ribbons everywhere. RIP Shirley

So far, every time I have wrapped ribs I have been left disappointed with the results. I only try it to reduce the time in the nuclear fireball they call daytime here. Once the temps cool down a bit, here in the 9th-circle of h-e-double-ell, I will be more more than happy to smoke-em till they're done! Heck, I might even sit outside next to the smoker with a cup of fresh percolator coffee and enjoy the day! :emoji_thumbsup:

If I ever hit the PowerBall I am moving to Montana - right next to Glacier National Park - immediately.

Brrrr We used to live out that way. Be sure you have somewhere warm to go in the Winter. :)
Seriously I like babybacks. I do them in a Kamado 2 hours vertical rack with plates and a drip tray, 1hour 30 min wrapped with wet feet 35 minute finish with a glaze. I always rub in a dab of honey across the rack before the dry rub goes on.

Reactions: Retired Spook
I received Kosmo's pineapple heat - I don't get the hype? Tastes like hot-pepper sugar-water/syrup - almost no pineapple taste.

On a whim I bought a lime and squeezed it into some honey and mixed it up - I almost think this is the stuff! I will try it on my next ribs and see if it works.

I received Kosmo's pineapple heat - I don't get the hype? Tastes like hot-pepper sugar-water/syrup - almost no pineapple taste.

On a whim I bought a lime and squeezed it into some honey and mixed it up - I almost think this is the stuff! I will try it on my next ribs and see if it works.
I like kosmos rubs but hate those glaze's. Tastes like cough medicine to me

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Retired Spook
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky