Smoked ribs honey-based glaze?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Retired Spook

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Jun 28, 2022
What is your favorite honey-based smoked ribs glaze?

I am growing tired of tomato based barbecue sauces and want something honey-citrus based and looking for constructive ideas. An old woman I knew way way back in the day made the best ribs (and barbecued chicken) I've ever tasted and she didn't have a smoker or a kettle - she had some homemade stone barbecue grill with an elevated shelf at the back where she would cook the ribs, and whatever glaze she brushed on the ribs was perfect. I know it was honey based but it had something extra in it and I thought maybe some ideas might ring a bell.

No more tomato based for me.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Check out some asian or chinese rib recipes, nearly all are finished with a honey based glaze. Just starting to get into making asian stuff but if you get the right recipe it will wipe the floor with ketchup sauce based ribs.

Reactions: Retired Spook
Probably not what you're looking for but a favorite

Keith

I just use some honey and squeeze butter when I wrap the ribs it's not really a glaze but could be used that way I would think maybe add a little of your rub in with it

Reactions: chopsaw
Probably not what you're looking for but a favorite

Keith
Thanks Keith the ingredients look good I will give it a try!

That guy has some great looking rib recipes on his site - I can't wait to try his Asian recipe!

Last edited:
I use this a lot as a glaze, love the flavor.
Just low to med heat from the jerk part and the pineapple stands out nice

I know not Honey based , but not tomato either, just thought I would mention it

4.JPG

David

I use this a lot as a glaze, love the flavor.
Just low to med heat from the jerk part and the pineapple stands out nice

I know not Honey based , but not tomato either, just thought I would mention it

View attachment 642400
David
Thank you sir I will check it out! Strangely enough, the old woman I mentioned, Mrs. Ellis (I was just a kid), was from somewhere in the Caribbean not Jamaica but somewhere near there. :emoji_thumbsup:

Reactions: DRKsmoking
Thanks Keith the ingredients look good I will give it a try!

That guy has some great looking rib recipes on his site - I can't wait to try his Asian recipe!
Oh yeah I love the Sticky Asian glaze but gave my bottle to my SIL along with an MES and haven't replaced it yet. But it's good stuff!

Keith

Last edited:
Reactions: Retired Spook
I think it was mangoes the old woman used...
Fruit jellies might work as good or better than honey also cheaper. Light ones are my go like apple. You might be surprised how good simple things mixed together work as a glaze. IE apple jelly+vinegar. You can even boost the fruit flavor by using lemon juice instead of vinegar. The asian style glazes also use a salty component like soy or wine (theirs contain salt) so you get a mix of sweet, sour, and salty. A squirt or 2 of sriracha to add garlic, depth, and heat. Love messing with this sorta stuff.

Fruit jellies might work as good or better than honey also cheaper. Light ones are my go like apple. You might be surprised how good simple things mixed together work as a glaze. IE apple jelly+vinegar. You can even boost the fruit flavor by using lemon juice instead of vinegar. The asian style glazes also use a salty component like soy or wine (theirs contain salt) so you get a mix of sweet, sour, and salty. A squirt or 2 of sriracha to add garlic, depth, and heat. Love messing with this sorta stuff.
Thanks Zwiller. I bought a few ingredients and I am going to see what I can come up with and once I hit on something nice I am going to bust-out the ghost peppers I have frozen from last-year's crop to add a little zip!

My sister remembers the glaze Mrs. Ellis used on her ribs - and her chicken that I did not recall because I just loved the ribs! My sister loved the chicken and obviously has a better memory than I do!

However, I am not going to say what it is because it was soooooo good I just have to keep it a secret! :emoji_laughing: (and I want to make sure my sister is correct). Also, Mrs. Ellis was from Trinidad!

But I will post photos of my next rib cook! :emoji_wink:

Last edited:
Ok so I got the product my sister believes it was - a peach-apricot based based product named Saucy Susan. I think my sister is mistaken so the search continues.

I found a recipe for a honey-lime glaze and I am going to try that.

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky