smoked octopus Somebody had to do it might as well be me

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Even though it didn't turn out exactly as planned, it still looks amazing and i bet it tastes better. I have only had octopus a couple of times but I really liked it. If we ever vacation to australia I will have to bring you some snapping turle. It is very tasty.

Bigfish

OK the obvious question snapping turtle tastes like what exactly?? I know the line in Crocodile Dundee about all bush foods tasting like chicken but does it have a comparison. 3 dead from shark attacks in 6 weeks same spot more or less,if you come for holiday avoid swimming at beachs around Perth. No laughing matter & scares the daylights out of tourists. If you get taken by a crocodile in this country 9 times out of 10 its because you didnt listen or you did something stupid,still a horrible death & a tragedy,but  northern tropics only. Sharks are just so random its all down to luck unless you do something monumentally stupid like scuba dive near seal colony.

the spot in Sydney Harbour where one of our navy divers lost an arm & a leg is visible from my office window only about a par 4 from the Opera House,now he is one tough SOB  still in the Navy now.

Simply INCREDABLE!!!!!!...I have not cooked like that since Culinary School.  Only Cheffie Daughter Casey and myself will even Touch something that isn't Beef, Pork or Chix!... What Great Work!...JJ

Simply INCREDABLE!!!!!!...I have not cooked like that since Culinary School.  Only Cheffie Daughter Casey and myself will even Touch something that isn't Beef, Pork or Chix!... What Great Work!...JJ
Thank you very much. Theres a way to get that terrine to set I come back to it. I think I  know who to ask.

Found other recipes from high end Italian restaurants here. They use gelatin & /or they weigh  it down so it sticks together.Ill get it,& repost it just with the final steps. Im notoriously stubborn.

Its a lunch time sort of a ladies dish,very little fat served with a salad maybe a simple dressing,very summer sort of thing it gets pretty hot here. Glad you liked it.

There are a lot of people that say snappimg turtle tastes like chicken, but it really tastes like snapping turtle. I have seen it labeled chicken and people thought it was great until the found out what it actually was. So it must taste enough like chicken so when it is served by itself you won't know unless told. Also I think it depends on how it is cooked. If it is flash fried and steamed, I think it tastes gamier. I have boiled it til tender then taken the meat off the bones, breaded and fried them and it isn't gamey at all. Also a lot more crispy and delicious!

Bigfish

The best soup I ever had was Snapper Soup.

I used to catch them & sometimes shoot them, and sell them to restaurants, when I was a kid.

My Son has Snappers in his pond that range from about 5 pounds up to 30 pounds (that we have seen).

A couple years ago I was thinking about grabbing one, and cleaning it, and making my own Snapper Soup, so I started searching how to clean them, and some recipes. Then I ran into the info about the Mercury & PCBs in Snappers (especially big old ones), and I decided not to. It seems they are worse than fish, because they live on the bottom, and it is cumulative over the many years they live.

So many things just aren't like they used to be.

Bear

helluva thread....many thanks for posting in such detail. I have eaten O, but never like you have prepared....this one will live on for a longgggg time. A Japanese sushi bar around here does an appetizer with baby O's poached in a spicy broth then chilled and placed on the rice. Yummy stuff...

helluva thread....many thanks for posting in such detail. I have eaten O, but never like you have prepared....this one will live on for a longgggg time. A Japanese sushi bar around here does an appetizer with baby O's poached in a spicy broth then chilled and placed on the rice. Yummy stuff...
Glad you liked it.I think O,pus started out here as by catch when fisherman were after something else,same with calamari. Now they are a target species. I do a thai/viet version of the calamari where I stuff them with minced pork,rice, that I  fry first with garlic,galangal,shallots,thai holy basil. Then bake them in a broth thats got coconut juice,fish stock,fish sauce,kaffir lime leaf & lemongrass in it. Very fragrant & again a bit lighter for summer eating. 

I had the ragu on pasta last night its a keeper.
icon14.gif

"some where way back a guy looked at a bunch of animal intestines & said Im going to fill that with meat & eat it" - One of my fav quotes on here so far!!

Love the thread!  I'm still way new at smoking, but this is a definite down the road!!  Thanks for sharing!!!

I would love to have tried all of those dishes. I'll try anything once, that's my motto. I actually love octo and squid but i've never had it like that!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky